Senior Coordinator, Audit and Compliance - Sponsored Programs Administration (99576)
Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA), Post-Award
University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign
SENIOR COORDINATOR, AUDIT and COMPLIANCE
Sponsored Programs Administration (SPA), Post-Award is a unit under the Office of Vice Chancellor for Research (OVCR) at the University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign. SPA supports the research enterprise throughout the entire lifecycle of an externally sponsored project, from proposal submission to award close-out. The Post-Award Unit provides a variety of post-award administrative functions in support of sponsored projects.
The Senior Coordinator, Audit and Compliance, will coordinate the post-award functions of the Audit and Compliance administrative division. Special emphasis is placed on compliance with institutional policies and procedures, state and/or federal law, and contratual obligations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Create, modify, run, utilize and maintain numerous spreadsheets and databases in support of sponsored research award administration. Responsible for data retrieval and analysis.
- Assist all three campuses in data collection and preparation for use in Single Audit or other audits. This includes database management, mail merge, and research support.
- Assist all three campuses in the completion and submission of the GMP Reporting Package. This includes developing contacts within the State of Illinois agencies to request and obtain necessary data, obtaining Warrant Information from State, and extracting internal expenditure data to develop the report.
- Perform review of expenditures charged to unallowable and restricted cost categories for allowability under cost accounting standards and compliance with sponsored project terms and conditions. Coordinate the post-audit review of sponsored project cost transfers. This includes working with departmental Business Offices to support or remove questioned costs. Use knowledge of Uniform Guidance, University Policies and Procedures, and individual award terms and conditions to make allowability decisions.
- Perform review of negotiated award agreements to ensure terms are compliant with University policy and procedures, and, if exceptional terms, are supported with appropriate administrative approvals. Perform proposal submission reviews for compliance with sponsor guidelines and University policy, including but not limited to, review of budgets to determine whether costs are allowable and allocable under cost accounting standards.
- Assist Audit and Compliance Unit's leadership with preparation of responses to audit findings, special reports, and requests for information. This includes data extraction, report preparation/generation, departmental communications, and research. Provide support related to audits and desk reviews, including documentation support and research support. Coordinate response to sponsor-required compliance certifications and requests for information.
- Serve as liaison to internal and external auditors, departmental and campus staff, as well as other University Campuses as directed. This includes assisting with outreach activities and promoting the unit's objectives, scheduling and assisting with observations and interviews, and unit follow up during the Single Audit and other external audits.
- Represent SPA at meetings, audit site visits, equipment reviews, and Pl Single Audit interviews.
- Serve as a post award subject matter expert related to sponsored projects compliance. Provide advice and expertise to unit staff, campus and university units. This includes interpreting and providing guidance on University policies and sponsor regulations to faculty, administrators and subawardees regarding allowability of costs, reporting requirements and performance assessment, as well as, 0MB Circulars, Federal Agency Regulations, State of Illinois guidelines, University policies and procedures and Agency and award terms and conditions. Lead in conflict resolution of award issues. Use independent judgment to facilitate activity with all parties concerned.
- Support the development and implementation of policies, procedures and objectives related to sponsored research administration. Continually monitor policies to maintain compliance with state and federal regulations. Develop and communicate necessary compliance and contractual information related to proposals, awards and audits. Work closely with units in developing audit questions and responses. Participate in performance improvement initiatives, including development of supporting systems to ensure compliance with sponsored project requirements and related policies as well as providing training on compliance. Analyze processes and seek to improve customer service.
- Perform other tasks as needed to meet and enhance the mission and goals of SPA.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Bachelor's degree with concentration in Accountancy, Business Administration and/or Finance. Alternate degree fields will be considered/accepted depending upon the nature and depth of the experience as it applies to this position.
Required: Auditing or compliance experience. Minimum of 3 years in a position requiring utilization of financial and administrative skills in a complex business, academic, or government environment. Knowledge of state and federal regulations, policies, and procedures for the conduct of sponsored programs. Highly developed communication and writing skills. Ability to work in an integrated team. Strong interpersonal skills that reflect courtesy, diplomacy, and a collaborative approach to develop and maintain effective work relationships. Ability to be self-motivated, work independently and to exercise good judgement and discretion in the performance of all work assignments. Ability to multi-task and prioritize work accordingly to meet deadlines while staying on task with daily assignments. Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills. Observe standards of professional conduct and strive for excellence in customer service including, but not limited to, accepting accountability and ownership of actions. Adaptability in accepting new challenges and responsibilities, focusing on customer needs and prompt, accurate resolution of customer issues and process efficiencies.
Preferred: Auditing or compliance experience at an institution of higher education or other challenging or professional environments is preferred. Solid understanding of sponsored project award administration. Knowledge and understanding of related Federal regulations and policies for the conduct of sponsored programs. Knowledge and respect of policies and procedures outlined for the University of Illinois, OBFS, and department. Knowledge of the University of Illinois. Knowledge of external sponsoring agency award systems. CPA certification. Illini Certified Research Administrator (CRA).
APPOINTMENT STATUS: Regular 100%-time Academic Professional appointment on a 12-month service basis. Qualified individuals are eligible for full University benefits package.
Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Start date will be as soon as possible after closing date.
Applications must be received by August 30, 2018. To apply, all candidates must submit an online profile through https://jobs.illinois.edu by the close of the posting period. Qualified candidates must upload: 1) a cover letter which details qualifications noted above; 2) resume; and 3) the names and contact information for three (3) professional references. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
For further information, please contact Kate Day, OVCR Human Resources, at email@example.com
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: OVCR
Title: Senior Coordinator, Audit and Compliance - Sponsored Programs Administration (99576)
Open Date: 08/09/2018
Close Date: 08/30/2018
Organization Name: Sponsored Programs Admin