Probabilistic Subseasonal Weather Forecaster *Closes 8/17/18*
The Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) in Boulder, Colorado is seeking a post-doctoral or early-career scientist with experience in atmospheric sciences, statistics, or a related discipline. The candidate will work in a team environment at the NOAA Earth System Research Laboratory, Physical Sciences Division (PSD), and perform research in developing statistical post-processing methods for precipitation that are capable of providing reliable and skillful probabilistic guidance for forecast lead times up to 4 weeks ahead. The scientist will develop new approaches, document them in presentations and peer-reviewed journal articles, and work with colleagues in the National Weather Service to implement them operationally. This position offers the opportunity to expand into other research areas of mutual interest to the candidate and NOAA.
This position will be located at NOAA in Boulder, Colorado.
(1) Understand and potentially improve upon existing methods for statistical postprocessing of medium-range (up to 14-days ahead) precipitation forecasts.
(2) Develop new approaches that identify suitable large-scale predictors and integrate them into a statistical post-processing scheme such that skillful forecasts are obtained for week 3+4 precipitation accumulations
(3) Write efficient and easily understandable code that implements the algorithm design, ideally in fortran90, python, and/or cython.
(4) Validate the performance of the new algorithms in comparison against existing procedures.
(5) Document the methods in presentations and articles.
(6) Travel at the level of a few trips per year to conferences and to meet scientists working on related algorithmic development activities.
The applicant will be expected to work with CIRES and NOAA staff in a team environment.
(1) A Ph.D. in atmospheric sciences, statistics, or a related discipline. (2) Advanced knowledge in the field of multivariate and spatial statistics.
(3) Experience programming in Fortran90, python, cython, and/or R.
(4) Ability to speak and write English fluently.
(5) Comfort with working with other scientists in a team environment.
(6) If the candidate is a foreign national, the ability to get a work visa.
(7) Ability to travel may be required, at the level of 1-3 trips/year.
Special Instructions to Applicants:The University of Colorado Boulder conducts background checks on all final applicants being considered for employment, prior to the issuance of an offer letter. The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To achieve this goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and an EPLS (Excluded Parties List System) check. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.
The University of Colorado is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, the University of Colorado does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation or political philosophy in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. Inquiries may be directed to the Boulder Campus Title IX Coordinator by calling 303-492-2127. In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, alternative formats of this ad can be provided upon request for individuals with disabilities by contacting Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, Reference Letters (Not Confidential), Unofficial transcript(s)
Application Materials Instructions:Applicants must complete the Faculty/University Staff and EEO Data (application) form, and upload the following required documents: 1 - Cover Letter; 2 - CV; 3 - The document uploaded for Proof of Degree can be a Transcript which shows the date the degree was conferred; Copy of Diploma; or official letter from the Registrar or the Dean of the School or College conferring the degree; 4 -A non-confidential letter of reference This position is eligible for medical, dental and life insurance, retirement benefits programs, and is eligible for monthly vacation and sick leave accruals.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10080 - Coop Inst Res/Envrm Sci - Dir
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Nancy Lathrop
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00751261