Mobile Stroke Research Nurse
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Mobile Stroke Research Nurse
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
The Department of Neurology has an opening for a full time Research Nurse (Mobile Stroke Treatment Unit Study Nurse/Study Coordinator) to coordinate the mobile stroke treatment unit study. The position is located primarily at the Anschutz Medical Campus with some travel. Each calendar week is made up of 3 operational days and 3 standard management days, with Wednesday being the only "off" day. Wednesday, the MSTU is relocated to the next region of service and our Operations Manager assists in this responsibility.
We are the premier research university in Colorado, serving more than 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and health professions students in Denver, Aurora and online and awarding nearly 4,000 degrees each year. The renowned researchers and award-winning faculty offer more than 100 degree programs through 13 colleges and schools. In 2008 the University was awarded more than $371 million in research grants and contracts. The Anschutz Medical Campus includes over 5 million square feet of research, educational and clinical space on 227 acres.
Duties include coordinating the mobile stroke unit treatment study, which include:
- Informed Consent process for MSTU patient/family
- Perform chart audits
- Ongoing review of care during admission for change in condition/treatment (requires bedside visit as well)
- Review and compare ongoing CT scan(s) - document and submit any adverse events within 2 days
- Follow up during hospital admission first 24 hours
- Complete 24 hour NIHSS
- Obtain demographic, income, work history, activity level, and functional level prior to stroke Via patient/family interview (this takes typically 1+ hour(s) once they are available, this can take several attempts and/or days) prior to hospital discharge
- Physical assessment of ADLs, document a research base health scale, perform modified Rankin scale
- Review discharge dispositioning (home, rehab/skilled nursing facility)
- Ensure 30d follow up Physician visit scheduled
- Chart audit and verify: contact information, d/c medications, insurance info, etc.
- Data entry into OpenClinica (research database) each patient entry is ongoing as medical record updated (typically 4 hours)
- Manage required documentation necessary from Tele-Stroke physicians, includes obtaining physical signatures of multiple documents
- Weekly updates to Primary Research Site; Houston
- Attend 30 and 90 day physician clinic visits
- Phone call assessments and follow up at 6, 9, and 12 month intervals (average 30 min per call)
- Monitor Fire Dispatch radio channel from 0800-1700 each day of Standard Management
- Respond within minutes of field initiated Stroke Alert(s) to respective EDs
- Interview field EMS/CSFD to determine eligibility of research enrollment
- Weekly call in meeting with Research colleagues (TX, TN, NY; ~1.5 hours each Thursday)
- Weekly research/operation meeting (1.5 hours each Monday)
- Quarterly Stakeholder meeting (evening meetings ~2 hours each)
- Intermittent site visits with Houston staff (Research site reviews)
Study title: BEnefits of Stroke Treatment Delivered Using a Mobile Stroke Unit Compared to Standard Management by Emergency Medical Services: The BEST-MSU Study
Position requires a registered nurse (RN). This position requires nurse to meet stroke patients and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) providers in the emergency room. Applicants must have outstanding interpersonal skills, excellent communication skills, great attention to detail, work with colleagues and patients in a confidential and professional manner, experience with web-based tracking systems and Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access), and must be able to work well independently as well as within a larger team.
Neuroscience nursing (especially stroke patients); experience conducting stroke scales and modified Rankin scales; experience completing documentation and performing tasks routinely used in clinical trials; research nursing experience; research database experience; ACRP or SOCRA certification.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14427
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20244 - SOM-Neurology
Posting Date: Aug 9, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Alexander Stein
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00729017