At the administrative and clinical direction of the Director of General Medicine, and in consultation and collaboration with the Chief Physician, the Nurse Practitioner will provide healthcare to the University’s campus community. The incumbent will assist with day-to-day direction of clinical support staff and student healthcare providers and workers; and will function as a member of the interdisciplinary college healthcare team for the university.
Examples of Duties:
- Maintain a clinical practice through the delivery of independent and collaborative healthcare relative to the college population and university community; practice within and to the full extent of departmental clinical practice guidelines and privileging documents; independently seeks consultation with nurse practitioner colleagues and Chief Physician in maintaining both acute and chronic cases;
- Provide assessment, evaluation and treatment or triage of episodic illness and injuries; obtain health history and perform examinations according to the chief complaint; develop treatment plans, to include education, therapeutic, and treatment modalities; order x-rays and laboratory tests as appropriate; interpret lab results;
- Provide periodic and specialty physical examinations as per departmental scope of services;
- Create, provide, support, and participate in health promotion and disease prevention programs;
- Stay current with education and training issues in the area of adult primary and adolescent healthcare; attend continuing education programs and in-services specific to the college age population;
- Provide telephone consultation, including test results, triage, and treatment instructions;
- Participate in peer review, performing quarterly chart audits with collaborating physician;
- Provide education and counseling concerning various physical and psychological issues;
- Prescribe and/or dispense over the counter, non-controlled and controlled medication per state, federal and departmental guidelines;
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives;
- Provide education, delegation and direction in accordance with advanced nursing practice act to support staff including RN’s, LNA’s, medical assistants and student workers;
- Provide clinical oversight in the absence of the Director of General Medicine;
- Serve on committees and task forces as requested;
- Precept U Mass Boston Nurse Practitioner students;
- Administer immunizations and injections;
- Manage medical emergencies;
- Provide on campus and community resources;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
MSN or MS degree, along with graduation from an accredited professional school of nursing and completion of an approved nurse practitioner program, and a minimum of one-three years of experience as a nurse practitioner in primary care, university health services or a similar setting is required. Current national certification as a nurse practitioner and current license or eligibility in the State of Massachusetts is required. Prescriptive practice authorization through valid registration(s) from Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration is required.
- Primary, urgent care or college/university health experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Please apply online with your resume, cover letter and list of three professional references.
Review of candidates will begin following the application closing date.
Only Internal candidates in the Professional Staff Bargaining Unit will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Salary Ranges for the appropriate Pay Grade can be found at the following link: