Advisor - Pre-Law
Oversee advising for students interested in pursuing a career in the law profession. Execute a key role in recruiting, retention and support to students. This is a nine month renewable position.
1. Advise current students and alumni on academic and career issues related to the law profession.
2. Provide information and assistance to prospective students and their families.
3. Develop and assist students with identifying experiences for students interested in the law profession including internships, informational interviews, volunteering, and shadowing opportunities.
4. Collaborate in recruiting efforts for pre-law students with Admission and Advising.
5. Coordinate and develop affiliations/articulation agreements with related professional programs.
6. Plan and implement programs and events for pre-law students.
7. Guide students through the application process to law school including: providing information about the applications timetable, building relationships for recommendation letters, identifying schools to apply to, reviewing applications essays, and negotiating financial aid awards.
8. Meet with students about preparing for LSAT exams.
9. Serve as an advisor to related student organizations.
10. Attend appropriate conferences and visits associate sites.
11. Create and update informational resources for the area including; college websites, advising manuals and other handouts.
12. Track student involvement with the office and matriculations to professional school.
13. Demonstrate a strong commitment to continuous improvement.
14. Support mission, vision and values.
Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Master’s degree in Higher Ed or a related field.
2. Aptitude and experience with recruiting and advising students pursuing a law career.
3. Effective communication and human relations skills.
4. An understanding of the law profession.
5. Computer proficiency.
6. Must be dedicated to maintaining and improving the image of the college and the CPE.
Juris Doctor degree preferred.
Elmhurst College offers more than 60 undergraduate majors, 17 graduate programs, degree-completion programs for busy adults, and the acclaimed Elmhurst Learning and Success Academy for young adults with developmental disabilities. Elmhurst College is one of the Top 10 Colleges in the Midwest, according to U.S. News & World Report; and U.S. News, Money and Forbes magazines consistently rank Elmhurst as one of the Midwest’s best values in higher education. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a critical component of the College’s mission, vision and core values. Our commitment stems from the belief that an institution of higher learning is enriched by the presence of diversity. Elmhurst College is an EO Employer. Elmhurst College prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, creed, ancestry, veteran status, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.