ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCE AND CONTROLLER
WOFFORD COLLEGE invites applications for an Associate Vice President for Finance and Controller.
Reporting to and working directly for the Chief Financial Officer, the AVP for Finance and Controller is responsible for managing the budget and financial plans, accounting records and financial statements, investments and treasury, and student account and billing functions at the College. The AVP for Finance and Controller provides strategic support for the CFO and interacts extensively with members of College leadership, the Investment Advisory Committee, and the Board of Trustees.
- Budget and Finance – The AVP supervises the Budget Director and actively participates in the formulation of budgets, long-term financial plans and financial modeling.
- Accounting and Financial Statements – The AVP supervises the Assistant Controller and Senior Accountant and participates in the creation of accounting records and journal entries during the monthly closing process, as well as drafts GAAP financial statements.
- Investments and Treasury – The AVP works closely with the Investment Advisory Committee of the College, as well as the third party investment advisor, to monitor investments in the College’s endowment portfolio. The AVP manages all aspects of outstanding debt and working capital balances.
- Student Accounts and Billing – The AVP supervises the Student Accounts Administrator and monitors the student billing and collections processes.
- The AVP (along with the CFO) serves as a primary representative to the Operations and Audit Committees of the Board of Trustees.
- Other Service – As a key member of leadership, the AVP contributes to the life of Wofford College through his/her participations in College-wide initiatives, committees and events.
Qualified candidates will possess an undergraduate degree in accounting, finance, business administration or closely related field, and preference will be provided for candidates with a master’s degree (in a related field) and/or CPA license. At least 8 years of progressively responsible financial and accounting experience is required.
Experience in higher education and working with government or private foundation grants will prove to be valuable in this position. Excellent communication and presentation skills to explain financial concepts to a wide and diverse audience is highly desirable.
All application materials must be submitted electronically to AVPFinance@wofford.edu . Application materials include: (1) a letter of application explaining how you meet the qualifications of this position; (2) a current resume; and (3) names and contact information for (minimally) three professional references.
For assured consideration, application materials must be received no later than midnight, September 15, 2018.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Wofford College provides a competitive benefits package including employer contribution to retirement savings, employer premium contribution to comprehensive major medical insurance, tuition remission for qualifying dependents, disability insurance, and other accompanying fringes.
The College’s non-discrimination statement, as adopted by the Board of Trustees, is Wofford College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any legally protected status.
Wofford College values diversity within our students, faculty, and staff, and strives to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people. We encourage applications from all underrepresented groups, including persons with varied backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
It is the policy of Wofford College to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you require an accommodation to participate in any part of the hiring process, please contact Human Resources at HR@wofford.edu .
A background check will be conducted for finalist candidates. Employment is contingent upon completion of a successful background check and establishment of identity and verification of employment eligibility as required by the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986.
ABOUT WOFFORD COLLEGE
Wofford College, established in 1854, is a four-year, residential liberal arts college located in Spartanburg, S.C. It offers 25 major fields of study to a student body of 1,650 undergraduates and is nationally known for the strength of its academic program, outstanding faculty, study abroad participation, and successful graduates. Wofford is home to one of the nation’s 283 Phi Beta Kappa chapters. The college community enjoys Greek Life as well as 19 NCAA Division I athletics teams.
Wofford is located a few blocks north of the central business district of Spartanburg, S.C. The Spartanburg area boasts an active international commercial community that comprises companies such as BMW and Michelin. Spartanburg is a growing and diverse community that supports seven college and university campuses along with numerous civic arts and cultural associations.