Monitoring & Security Systems Specialist
As a member of the Enterprise Application Performance Monitoring & Security team, the Monitoring & Security Systems Specialist is responsible for supporting enterprise monitoring solutions and security infrastructures. This position works collaboratively on the deployment and support of tools used to monitor and secure critical and large-scale networks, systems, applications and business services, so the University’s research, academic, and administrative activities can be conducted with minimal unplanned interruptions and with appropriate levels of security. For these purposes, the Engineer will work closely with colleagues in the Office of Information Technology to maintain integrated and end-to-end monitoring and security solutions.Responsibilities
- Assist other technical staff in areas of expertise.
- Assist Lead Engineer in the technical design and deployment of enterprise monitoring technologies used in support of faculty, students, and staff in their access to and use of a variety of IT services and applications, both on-premises and off-premises.
- Provide day-to-day operational support of monitoring and security environments.
- Test new and emerging monitoring and security solutions for supporting research, teaching, and administrative applications.
- Participate in regular operational reviews, including performance reporting and continuous improvement progress.
- Maintain alerting and monitoring of all systems, applications and critical infrastructure.
- Troubleshoot problems with current services.
- Deliver reports on monitoring and IT security infrastructure as needed.
- Maintain documentation, protocols and procedures related to deployed architectures.
- When provided access to personal, proprietary and/or otherwise confidential data, maintain such data in the strictest confidence and follow procedures to ensure the privacy, security and proper use of data.
- For any technical changes, follow appropriate change management processes.
- Keep abreast of technologies in area of responsibility.
- Experience maintaining monitoring and IT security systems through all life-cycle.
- Experience with monitoring and IT security systems
- Aptitude for learning, and the ability to build strong working relationships with IT colleagues, University colleagues from other departments, and vendors.
- Very good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to respond promptly and professionally to customer requests.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with enterprise-class infrastructure systems.
- Experience with Windows and Linux Systems.
- Knowledge of automation coding.
- Experience with monitoring systems such as Nagios and Microsoft System Center Operations Manager
- Experience with firewalls and file integrity checking systems
- Demonstrated successes working in a collaborative environment as well as independently.
- Proactive approach to seeking information and ideas from peers, supervisors, and members of the Princeton community.
- Working knowledge of throughput, latency, memory and CPU utilization
- Working knowledge of Network monitoring and packet sniffers (e.g. Big Switch, TcpDump, EtherPeek)
- Knowledge of operating system design/tuning (e.g. Linux, Windows)
- Knowledge of database tuning and administration (e.g. Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL)
- Knowledge of firewalls and file integrity checking systems
- Experience working in major enterprise IT projects
- Ability to take initiative
- Ability to learn new technologies beyond core area of knowledge and to stay current with the latest monitoring and security infrastructure trends.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAWSalary GradeAIT, 020Standard Weekly Hours36.25Eligible for OvertimeNoBenefits EligibleYesEssential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)NoPhysical Capacity Exam RequiredNoValid Driver’s License RequiredNo