Content Developer Manager
The Content Development Manager, APA Style is responsible for creation and development of content in the APA Style portfolio.
The incumbent will conduct market research, identify market problems and solutions by working with prospective and current customers, analyze consumer feedback, assess the competitive landscape, and leverage the distinctive competencies of the APA Style brand to deliver authoritative content, products and services. As a subject matter expert, the incumbent works closely with Product Management to ensure that all products enhance APA’s reputation for quality.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, psychology, or other social or behavioral science; master’s degree strongly preferred.
- 3–5 years of scholarly writing, editorial, publishing, and/or teaching experience.
- Expert knowledge of APA Style and applied experience developing instructional APA Style materials for users of all levels.
- Thorough understanding of scholarly writing and research processes; deep engagement in educational markets and the field of psychology.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for articulating product goals and market needs, developing content for students and instructors, and conducting formal presentations and product demonstrations.
Computer Skills Required:
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Proficiency with project- and product development tracking tools (e.g., JIRA) or ability to quickly gain proficiency.
- Advanced proficiency using reference management software (e.g., RefWorks, EndNote, Zotero) or ability to quickly gain proficiency.
- Experience using learning management systems (LMS) preferred
- Experience with research databases and search platforms.
- Experience with survey/market research, web analytics, and/or product roadmapping tools preferred.
- Experience with social media management tools and blogging platforms (e.g., TypePad, WordPress, HootSuite) preferred.
- Consults with APA Style customers, influencers, and decision makers (including instructors, students, researchers, librarians, and APA stakeholders) and conducts research to determine market needs and solutions to market problems.
- Writes, develops, and works with other experts to create instructional content for market-driven products that will extend the APA Style brand. These may include books, workbooks, test banks, lecture slides, and in collaboration with Product Management, learning objects, and/or other digital products.
- Solicits reviews from experts, feedback from APA governance groups, and recommendations from senior APA staff to inform the development of future APA Style products and revisions of existing ones.
- Participate in ideation for new APA Style products.
- Consults with Product Management on new products and features.
- Conducts user acceptance testing and verifies the accuracy and effective presentation of content
- Works with Sales, Marketing, and Customer Engagement staff to identify user pain points and drive usage and retention.
- Manages the APA Style Expert email service, blog, and social media presence (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Google+) by generating and posting content, answering style questions from the public, monitoring new developments, analyzing trends and statistics, and recommending new processes and tools to ensure a strong social media presence.
- Collaborates with the web team to generate and edit content for the APA Style website.
- Other duties as assigned.
The American Psychological Association, located at 750 First St NE, Washington DC, was named a 2014 recipient of the Washington Post Top Workplace.
Qualified candidates must apply online through APA’s applicant system and attach a cover letter and resume specifying your salary expectations. Applications that are submitted without both documents are considered incomplete and will not be reviewed for consideration. Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Please make sure to check your Spam folder if you do not receive an email from us. The American Psychological Association is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other protected categories covered under local law.