New Jersey Institute of Technology, in partnership with the national search firm of Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Registrar. Under the leadership of the Associate Provost for Enrollment Management and Academic Services, the Registrar serves as an integral member of NJIT’s strategic enrollment management team. NJIT seeks an innovative leader with vision for leveraging emerging technologies to improve customer service delivery and process. The Registrar will oversee all functions related to the Registrar’s office including course and classroom scheduling, course registration, maintenance of student academic records, transfer credit course postings and the degree audit system, degree validation and graduation certification, enrollment reports, and compliance with academic policies and FERPA regulations. The Registrar is the officer responsible for oversight and administration of academic and student policies as they pertain to student records and maintenance of all academic information about NJIT's students.
The University and the Greater Newark/NYC Area: New Jersey Institute of Technology was founded in 1881. Jersey Institute of Technology has earned a solid reputation as one of the nation’s preeminent STEM-based educational and research institutions. The university is consistently ranked among the highest in the country in return-on-investment (ROI) for its graduates, ranks number one nationally for student upward mobility, and ranks among the top U.S. polytechnic universities in terms of research expenditures. NJIT’s impact on the State of New Jersey exceeds $1.7 billion in total economic output each year, supporting more than 11,000 jobs and generating employment income of $560 million. As of 2017, NJIT had 220 unexpired U.S. patents, and more than 105 pending U.S. non-provisional patent applications.
With six colleges, over 50 undergraduate degree programs, approximately 60 graduate degree programs (including 19 programs leading to a Ph.D. degree in a professional discipline), and more than 70 specialized laboratories and research centers, NJIT is home to more than 11,400 students and nearly 500 full-time and adjunct faculty members. The university maintains a student-to-faculty ratio of 17 to 1. In 2015, NJIT introduced 2020 Vision-A Strategic Plan to chart the university’s course during the second decade of the 21st century.
NJIT is located in Newark, New Jersey's largest city. Newark is also New Jersey's cultural and economic capital, boasting performance spaces, professional sports, great food, and five other colleges nearby. Local cultural venues include the New Jersey Performing Arts Center, Newark Symphony Hall, the Prudential Center and the Newark Museum. Interestingly, Newark is the third-largest insurance center in the United States, after New York City and Hartford. The Prudential Financial, Mutual Benefit Life, Fireman's Insurance, and American Insurance Company all originated in the city. The first, one of the largest insurance companies in the world, has its "home office in Newark. Many other companies are headquartered in the city, including IDT Corporation, NJ Transit, Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG), Manischewitz, Horizon Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Jersey. and Audible.com. In 2013 Panasonic moved its North American headquarters to a new 250,000-square-foot (23,000 m2) office building. The NJIT campus is also filled with excitement. On any given day, you can watch a sporting event, challenge friends in the Campus Center’s gaming room or lend a hand in a community cleanup project. NJIT is also 20 minutes by train to New York City making it and the greater Newark area the perfect place to live and work.
The Position: The Registrar’s position will require both broad oversight as well as a hands-on management style, including a working knowledge of current best-practices in student registration and records. The ideal candidate will have vision for innovative technologies and methods all contributing to improved customer service delivery and process. The primary responsibilities of the position include:
- Work closely and collaboratively with other administrators, departments, and faculty governing bodies and committees to educate and provide advice and interpretations regarding compliance to existing NJIT registration policies and procedures.
- Cultivate internal and external relationships to better understand, support, and inform academic initiatives for all constituents and to develop and adapt registration polices and processes that support and advance student academic experiences and learning outcomes.
- Provide leadership and advice on issues related to academic policy, curriculum, and compliance with Federal laws and regulations, including FERPA to the University community.
- Establish and implement short- and long-range goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures and communicate these to all appropriate staff and immediate supervisor.
- Coordination/scheduling of the University's semester course offerings following accepted "best practices". The schedule must be organized in a coherent sequence addressing the curricular requirements of the university along with the patterns to optimize undergraduate and graduate enrollment.
- Interpret the University Catalog for all issues relative to credit and transfer policies and the acceptance of courses from other institutions as equivalents to NJIT courses by guidelines provided by the faculty governing bodies.
- Recruit, train and supervise office personnel including work allocation, and problem resolution. Evaluate personnel performance based on mutually established objectives. Uses best practices to motivate employees to achieve goals based on each employee's unique situation. Understand and follow appropriate employee relations requirements based upon in-place union contracts which may now and in the future apply to staff in the Office of the Registrar.
- Oversee all facets of the daily operations of the Office of the Registrar to ensure compliance with University, State, and federal laws, policies, and regulations. Confer with immediate supervisor if discrepancies are noted that would be in violation of laws, policies and regulations to obtain mutually developed solutions for remediation.
- Develop or assist with the development and implementation of policies and procedures consistent with those of the University to ensure efficient and safe operation conditions in the Office of the Registrar.
- Participate in the development and management of annual operating budgets for the Office of the Registrar.
- Oversee the University's Ellucian Banner (or any future student information system that the university may elect to use) registration modules and ensure that data systems support the needs of NJIT's academic mission. Evaluate existing registration technology and tools and make recommendations as appropriate. Lead the implementation of new applications and enhancements in order to support advanced services, special features and improved administrative processes.
- Master's degree from an accredited institution required.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience in a Registrar's office at the Assistant Registrar level or above with a work background that demonstrates comprehensive understanding of all elements of a complex registrar operation.
- Experience at a functional and operational level for the use of student information system(s), on-line catalog management systems, classroom scheduling and optimization systems, degree audit systems, NSC enrollment and degree compliance reporting to US Department of Education and use of query tools for extracting and reporting of student information to all constituents with a right-to-know.
- Understanding of FERPA and associated educational initiatives for a University community.
- Earned PhD/EdD degree from an accredited institution.
- Direct experience with Banner by Ellucian systems
Application and Nomination Process: The University has partnered with Scott Healy & Associates in managing and overseeing the entire search process. All applications and nominations must be sent electronically to:
Scott Healy & Associates
Attn: Mr. Jamie Marcus, Associate Vice President
Applicants must apply electronically by submitting a Cover Letter outlining their experiences and success in all areas indicated in The Position, a complete and up-to-date Resume, and the names of five professional References with title, institutional affiliation, email address, and direct telephone number.
The search process is confidential and no references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate. Complete applications submitted by September 14, 2018, will be given priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
To build a diverse workforce, NJIT encourages applications from individuals with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women. EEO employer.
Apply for Registrar
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly