Payroll Business Analyst
Payroll Business Analyst
Job Number: 79964
Payroll Business Analyst
Job Family: Information Technology Systems
Job Series: IT Business Analyst Job Code: 4771 Classification Level: H Exemption: Exempt Impact a Legacy
Consider all the lives saved over the many years as a result of Stanford's innovation in the medical field. Imagine a world without the internet and social platforms. Did you know Stanford pioneered the procedure for organ transplants and also created the first website in the United States? All of these advances and more, are a direct result of Stanford University's prominent faculty, researchers and alumni, who have revolutionized the way we live and enriched the world. Supporting this mission is Stanford's dedicated 16,000 staff, who come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere.
In a highly complex and constantly changing backdrop, the University Controller's Office is responsible for creating an environment which promotes innovative and sound business policies and practices that balance controls, compliance and customer service. The organization consists of approximately 95 professionals, responsible for a broad range of financial activities, including Financial Accounting and Reporting, Payroll, Capital Accounting, Fund Accounting, Investment Accounting, Student Accounting and Tax Compliance.
Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, scheduled to open in 2019, will be the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff whose jobs are important to supporting the university's mission. The campus brings departments together in a collaborative environment that reflects Stanford's culture and mission. The campus will offer amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a child care center for Stanford families.
The Payroll Business Analyst will work as member of a team with primary responsibility for the University Payroll and Time & Leave systems, managing application upgrade projects, developing enterprise reports, streamlining processes, patch testing and contributing to the operations of the semi-monthly payroll. The Payroll Business Analyst will serve as the functional lead for enhancements and upgrades of PeopleSoft Payroll, Time & Labor and other peripheral systems. Additionally, the Payroll Business Analyst will develop and compile performance metrics for the department, analyzing data to support outreach efforts and to identify and implement business process improvements.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree plus three years of applicable experience, or combination of education and relevant work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with, business analysis of ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft or Oracle, with proven ability to apply knowledge to understand new systems and processes.
- Experience working in a payroll environment, including experience with payroll and timekeeping systems.
- System implementation experience, including writing functional design specifications, creating test cases and analyzing test outcomes.
- Sufficient knowledge of SQL, or similar scripting language, to be able to interpret programming code as well as write scripts to extract data for analysis.
- Strong time management skills, with the ability to balance time-sensitive operational deadlines with progress on longer-term enhancements and projects.
- Proven ability to apply knowledge to analyze and interpret business policies and external regulations and translate them into compliant and efficient system processes.
- Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, sound judgment and sensitivity to handling of confidential data.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, including the ability to provide formal and informal system training to users with differing levels of system experience.
- Strong customer-oriented approach to managing work.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
HOW TO APPLY:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply Online” link. Please submit an online application, resume, and cover letter.
WHY STANFORD IS FOR YOU:
We provide market competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our unique perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. As one of the greatest intellectual hubs in the world, take advantage of development programs, tuition reimbursement plus $800 you receive annually towards skill-building classes, or audit a Stanford course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums. Create an avatar and participate in virtual reality adventures or join one with fellow staff on Stanford vacations!
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computing, cell phones, outdoor recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Location: Business Affairs: Financial Management Services (FMS), California, United States
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.