Digital Media Lab Desk Supervisor/University Libraries
Department:: University Libraries
Locations:: Amherst, MA
Posted:: Apr 26, '18
Ref. No.:: R150252
About University of Massachusetts Amherst:
UMass Amherst is one of the major public research universities in America. Nestled in idyllic Amherst, Massachusetts, the campus is consistently ranked among the top public research universities in the nation, and offers a rich cultural environment in a rural setting close to major urban centers.
Sunday-Monday 2:00pm - 10:00 pm; Tuesday-Thursday 10:00am - 6:00 pm
The Digital Media Lab (DML) Desk Supervisor will assist patrons and be responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Digital Media Lab, including but not limited to: supervising student assistant employees (hiring, training, scheduling, evaluating, coaching and mentoring), equipment set-up and maintenance, software support, web content development, equipment circulation management, and DML service desk support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interview, schedule, train, evaluate, and supervise student assistant employees in the day-to-day operations of a multimedia production space designed for undergraduate and graduate student patrons working on multimedia projects.
- Oversee the use of Macs, PCs, video/audio equipment, green screen rooms and sound rooms.
- Oversee and assist with video/audio equipment loan service.
- Assist patrons in the use of media production software including but not limited to: Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, and Premiere Pro), iMovie, Final Cut Pro X, GarageBand, and Logic Pro X.
- Troubleshoot media production software and hardware issues/questions posed by patrons.
- Assist patrons in creating equipment guides and software tutorials.
- Maintain and update DML web pages in library content management system.
- Maintain a database of media recording hardware, and software upgrades and repairs.
- Assist in organizing DML departmental events, presentations, film festivals, and other promotional activities.
- Assist the Coordinator of the Digital Media Lab in developing workshops.
- Support 3D print services as necessary.
- Attend and/or lead DML staff meetings.
- Use a high degree of independent judgment in responding to patron questions in person, by phone, and online, referring questions as appropriate to other library departments, staff and professional librarians.
- Attend professional development activities as assigned or required to meet departmental goals and objectives.
- Serve on internal library committees as needed.
- Work collaboratively and effectively in support of the Libraries' priorities to promote teamwork, diversity, equality, and inclusiveness within the Libraries and the campus.
- Monitor patron activity and track use of software, equipment and production areas.
- Participate in the Libraries' assessment program by collecting, maintaining, and recording usage statistics for monthly reports as needed.
- In collaboration with Development and Communications, employ best practices in social media marketing to create and manage content on the DML social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram) supporting the goals of the Libraries.
- Perform other related duties in support of the mission and goals of the Libraries and the department as assigned.
- Demonstrate, foster and cultivate a positive, proactive internal and external customer service culture amongst staff and student staff.
- Work a schedule during the academic year of Sunday and Monday 2-10 pm, and Tuesday through Thursday from 10 am to 6 pm. Schedule varies between academic and non-academic year according to library operational hours, and will include some evening, weekend and holiday hours, as assigned.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the multimedia production process.
- Expertise in video storytelling, documentary production, proficiency in capturing video with DSLR and pro-tier cameras.
- Experience and skills with professional videography and photography required.
- Experience with a range of multimedia software including: Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere), iMovie, Final Cut Pro X, GarageBand, and Logic Pro X.
- Ability to hire, schedule, train, evaluate, coach and supervise student staff.
- Experience in media production-related disciplines such as: video editing, web development, graphic design, presentation design, audio production, animation, or interactive media.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively and work productively in establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with a diverse population of staff and students.
- Strong service orientation and the ability to meet the public graciously and tactfully. Strong customer service attitude and initiative.
- Capacity, skill and willingness to engage students and contribute to student success.
- Ability to master new technologies and explain them to others.
- Ability to adjust and respond effectively to changing needs and priorities in a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment.
- Ability to understand responsibilities with respect to conflicts of interest and behave in ways consistent both with law and with university policy.
- Ability to understand and contribute to implementation of departmental and institutional goals for achieving non-discrimination and creating a respectful, inclusive environment that is supportive of diversity.
- Ability to work independently, handle multiple responsibilities, exercise sound judgment, and communicate effectively in oral expression before groups.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability and willingness to operate effectively and tactfully in an innovative environment.
- Ability to contribute toward creating a positive and respectful workplace defined by personal and professional competence, integrity and collaboration.
- Ability to use access to sensitive and/or not-yet-public university-related information only in the performance of the responsibilities of position and exercise care to prevent unnecessary disclosures to others.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Associate's degree (in information technology or related field of study) preferred.
- Library services experience preferred.
- Experience in a customer or technical support center preferred.
- Experience with content management systems and customized reporting preferred
Minimum Entrance Requirements
- Two years of media production experience or equivalent required.
- Demonstrate experience with the design, web, or multimedia production projects by providing a portfolio of work.
- Experience providing excellent interpersonal and customer service skills, including tactfulness, and the ability to overcome obstacles and provide solutions to problems.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Experience with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access.
Only internal USA/MTA employees will be considered during the first 7 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
On-Campus applicants are defined as Amherst Campus non-student employees
The University of Massachusetts is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, the University of Massachusetts is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the University of Massachusetts to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.