Public Safety – Police Officer
Job Summary: The Fort Valley State University (FVSU) Police Officer is certified by the State of Georgia to handle all aspects of emergency and non-emergency calls. This position is extremely critical to the safety and security of FVSU students, faculty, staff, visitors, and for the protection of campus property and resources.
If not certified upon hire, the officer must successfully complete a State of Georgia 408 hour mandate/police training course to become certified. The course requires daily Physical Training.
This position reports to the Chief of Campus Police and Safety.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Patrol a designated area of campus to preserve law and order, to prevent and discover the commission of crimes and to enforce traffic regulations
- Take charge of and guide the work of subordinate law enforcement personnel in various situations until relieved by superior officer
- Answer calls and complaints involving fire, traffic or other accidents, robberies, and other misdemeanors and felonies and take necessary police action
- Investigate crimes against persons and property
- Interview victims and witnesses
- Search for and evaluate evidence
- Arrest person or persons suspected of crimes
- Prepare various records and reports
- Testify in court as required
- Performs related work as required
- Graduation from a standard high school supplemented by the completion of two years of college and three to five (35) years of experience in police or related work OR any equivalent combination of education and experience
- Possess a valid driver's license and meet driving record criteria established by the Department
- Possess some basic computer related skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent decision-making skills and the ability to think and act quickly
- Bachelor's degree
- Experience working on a college campus
NECESSARY Special Requirements:
Will fully comply with the requirements for peace officer as set forth in the Georgia Peace Officers Standard and Training Act as defined by the Georgia Peace Officers Standards and Training Council. Georgia Law 92A-2100 (as amended).
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of standard police practices and techniques
- Knowledge of controlling laws and ordinances, particularly the laws of arrest
- Knowledge of the university properties, population, and traffic control problems
- Knowledge of first aid principles
- Ability to guide and direct subordinate law enforcement personnel and assist in training programs
- Ability to deal firmly and courteously with subordinates and the public
- Ability to analyze the situations quickly and objectively, and on own initiative, to determine proper course of action to be taken
- Ability to obtain information through interview and interrogation
- Ability to speak and write effectively
- Ability to meet specific physical requirements that may be established by competent authority
- Work is performed primarily out-of-doors, and may require exposure to extreme weather conditions
- Has potential for exposure to potentially dangerous interpersonal situations, necessitating the observance of appropriate safety precautions
- Requires weekend, holiday, and shift work
- Must fully understand the role of a sworn officer know when to summon additional assistance and/or fire/EMS
- Job may be physically demanding at times and may require physical exertion including bending, reaching, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, etc.
- Requires long periods of walking, standing, and sitting
- Requires the ability to defend oneself or a member of the community in exigent circumstances
- Required to wear a full duty/utility belt with all assigned weapons and attachments
- If not certified upon hire, candidate must successfully complete a State of Georgia 408 hr. mandate/police training course to become certified. The course requires daily Physical Training
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.