Collaborating across AHA departments and with senior management, the marketing manager develops, implements, and coordinates the Association’s marketing and branding strategies and facilitates media relations. The marketing manager reports to the deputy director.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Develop, execute, and evaluate the Association’s marketing strategies, plans, and objectives, along with revenue-generating initiatives through collaborative strategic and tactical planning across AHA departments.
- Cultivate a marketing mindset among AHA staff and governing council and encourage an integrated approach to promoting the Association’s work.
- Track and measure the level of engagement within the Association’s network over time and identify new opportunities or challenges. This includes assembling and analyzing relevant membership data and trends to inform marketing strategies.
- Manage the writing, design, development, and distribution of marketing and promotional materials including brochures, direct mail (electronic and print), press releases, advertising, AHA letterhead, logo use, etc.
- Serve as liaison with Annual Meeting exhibit sales, sponsorship, and display advertising contractors.
- Serve as media relations coordinator and direct inquiries from the public, the press, and related organizations to appropriate staff and officers.
- Develop short and long-term budgets for marketing/communications activities, track costs, and assure adherence to the budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS/KEY ATTRIBUTES:
- Advanced degree in history or related field
- At least 2 years of communications/marketing or related experience
- Familiarity with higher education in the humanities and an understanding of the various environments in which historians work
- Commitment to working collaboratively with staff, council members, volunteers, program participants, and other supporters. The successful candidate will have the proven ability to build relationships with flexibility and finesse.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to synthesize knowledge to generate effective promotion, and disseminate messaging to the right audiences through the most useful distribution channels
- Ability to manage multiple projects both collaboratively and independently
- Ability to collect, analyze, and present information, including quantitative data
- Attention to detail, strong problem-solving ability, and readiness to meet deadlines
- Entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Strong working knowledge of digital tools and media, including facility with MS Office applications, databases, and social media in professional settings
- Experience with InDesign or Photoshop preferred
- Legal right to work in the United States