Mental Health Counselor in Center for Student Wellness
FULL-TIME (9 MONTH) MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR
BASIC FUNCTION: The Full-time Mental Health Counselor is appointed by and responsible to the Director of the SBU Center for Student Wellness. The Counselor will provide individual and group counseling sessions, educational seminars, and consultation and referral services to the entire University Community.
QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology, Counselor Education, Social Work, or related field required. Must possess an active New York State license or limited permit in mental health counseling, clinical social work, or psychology Prior counseling experience with college student population and/or experience dealing with crisis issues preferred. Skilled in providing seminar/workshop-type education to college aged population.
- Provide counseling (individual and group, when needed) and support for students and their families; provide information concerning the various community agencies and University departments which offer support services in such areas as medical treatment and special educational arrangements.
- Must be available to provide counseling services 1-2 nights per week (12 PM to 9PM shift).
- Provide educational workshops, advocacy, and information regarding mental/emotional health and wellness issues.
- Serve on University and division committees as deemed appropriate.
SCHEDULE: This is a full-time, non-exempt position, and work schedules are planned to best provide coverage to the University. The individual holding this position may need to be available on occasion in the early morning, evening and some weekends to meet the needs of the department. This position is classified as an essential employee for emergency response purposes.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: This position may require, if needed, the exercise of supervising interns and practicum students. Additionally, this position will provide consultation to the other counselors in the department as a treatment team approach to providing comprehensive care to all the clients/students.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to lift, push and pull various materials up to 50 pounds on an occasional basis.
EXPECTATIONS: In this position, he/she would be expected to have or possess:
- A current New York State license or limited permit to practice as a clinical mental health counselor or a clinical counseling social worker, or clinical psychologist in order to provide quality mental health counseling to the University student body. The candidate will independently maintain licensure according to NYS guidelines.
- Maintain CPR certification
- A working knowledge and skills related to career development; ability to work with the Career and Professional Readiness Center staff to help students integrate mental health and career/professional development.
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office software. (Specifically, Word, Excel and Outlook) as well as the ability to stay current with emerging office and electronic medical record (EMR) software programs.
- Network with local providers including but not limited to other therapists and the staff at Olean General Hospital’s psychiatric department for referral reasons.
Please send letter of application, resume and contact information for three references to [email protected]
St. Bonaventure University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty, staff and student body, and strongly encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community. In light of its commitment to create and maintain a safe learning and working environment, employment with St. Bonaventure University requires successful completion of a background screening. Unless otherwise provided by law, a criminal record will not automatically disqualify an individual from employment.