Academic Support - Lab Assistant
Reporting to a the Director of Academic Support and under the close supervision of instructional staff, to assist instructors and students in an individualized or open lab setting by performing supportive duties in the educational process following established procedures and guidelines.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities (include, but not limited to): Assist instructor with individualized instruction of students:
1. Distribute and monitor instructional supplies to students and staff , and assist them in finding appropriate materials.
2. Assist with TABE assessment procedures.
3. Assist instructional staff with creating supplemental materials and projects.
4. Assist with Collecting Academic Support Student Success Data.
5. Assist with scoring TABE assessments and other special instructions and guidelines as directed.
6. Record and maintain files of student attendance and grades.
7. Organize and maintain files of instructional materials and supplies.
Assist in maintaining laboratory setting:
1. Obtain and set-up audio-visual equipment and other laboratory equipment and supplies as required.
2. Maintain inventory of supplies following established systems; order supplies as needed
Provide support and assistance to instructors:
1. Perform routine clerical duties such as light typing, forms and other materials; duplicating and collating materials; filing; preparing forms; answering telephones; processing mail; and related duties.
2. Prepare Academic Support flyers and brochures.
3. Complete course and student evaluations.
Minimum Qualifications: Knowledge, Skill, and Ability Requirements:
1. Knowledge of Business English, grammar, reading, and basic math such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions, decimals, and percents.
2. Ability to communicate effectively and to work effectively with students, instructors, and other staff.
3. Ability to learn, understand, and follow written and oral instructions and routine procedures.
4. Aptitude for organization and detail to maintain and file records.
5. Ability to type at least 35 WPM to type routine materials such as forms, envelopes, file labels, etc.
6. Ability to operate and perform routine maintenance on a variety of audio-visual and instructional equipment.
7. Physical ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
1. High School diploma.
2. One year work experience in an education / instructional setting is preferred.
Supplemental Information: The Academic Support - Lab Assistant supports the department of Academic Support Services and is available immediately.
All applicants (both internal and external) must attach the following to the completed online application for consideration, (applications that do not have the required attachments will not be considered):
- Cover letter
This position is a part-time 19 hours per week position with active hours only when school is in session. Salary is listed at the 2018-2019 rates.
Selected applicants will be invited to participate in required job testing on August 13, 2018. Testing will assess the candidates ability to type 35 WPM. Further assessments will include testing for Basic Office Skills.
Selected applicants will be invited to interview on Friday, August 17, 2018.