International Admissions Evaluator
Job ID: 24573
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 3084
Department: Grad Adm & Prog Eval
Classification: Student Services Professional III
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,429/month - 4,518/month
Salary Range: $4,421/month - $6,299/month
FLSA status: Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
The International Admissions Evaluator performs various functions under the supervision of the Associate Director, Graduate Admissions & Program Evaluations (GAPE). This position is responsible for advising and counseling all prospective, new, and continuing international students attempting to complete Title 5, CSU and University graduate admissions and degree requirements. The position conducts international graduate admissions and graduation evaluation and assessment, ensures timely visa processing, follows all policies set by the Director of GAPE for admission into San Jos State University; and actively collaborates with other university staff involved in various aspects of admissions and graduation processing to ensure that interrelated processes are completed in a timely manner. The objective in all interactions is to provide excellent customer service and establish cordial and collegial relationships with those contacting the GAPE Office.
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university in a related field, including or supplemented by upper division or graduate coursework in counseling techniques, interviewing, and conflict resolution where such are job-related and three years of progressively responsible professional student services work experience. A master's degree in Counseling, Clinical Psychology, Social Work, or a directly related field may be substituted for one year of experience. A doctorate degree and the appropriate internship or clinical training in counseling or guidance may be substituted for the three years of experience for positions with a major responsibility for professional career or personal counseling.
- Master's Degree
- Experience working in graduate admissions or records.
- Experience working with graduate student domestic and international student applications and graduation.
- Experience working with graduate international documents from different countries.
- Experience working with academic personnel and students in high stress situations
- Experience working with confidential information and records
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of technology and software applications such as: word processing, spreadsheet, database management, and communication tools. Ability to learn PeopleSoft.
- Ability to perform accurately in a detail-oriented environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to advise students individually and in groups on complex student-related matters; ability to determine appropriate courses of action and proper techniques to utilize while engaged with individuals in personal interactions.
- Ability to adapt and maximize productivity through use of appropriate tools (e.g., student database programs, imaging equipment); planned training and performance initiatives; research, adapt, and develop resources that create timely and efficient workflow.
- Excellent customer service and public relation skills.
- Ability to show attention to detail, accuracy and thoroughness.
- Ability to make sound decisions and work efficiently under pressure.
- Ability to analyze complex situations accurately and adopt effective courses of action.
- Ability to be versed and knowledgeable on the various recourses for international admissions and progress toward graduation.
May 21, 2018
Application Screening begins June 11, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046