Assistant Director-Dietitian for Dining Services - University Housing (99041)
Assistant Director-Dietitian for Dining Services
University Housing, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Applications are now being accepted for the Assistant Director-Dietitian for Dining Services position for University Housing at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. This position plans, develops, evaluates, and implements programs and services that meet the nutritional needs of the student/customer population. This position also manages, directs, plans, organizes, and oversees the Dining Services food safety program and supports operations.
We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds who can help create and foster communities that strive toward our vision. This includes supporting the academic mission of the University by developing environments conducive to student learning and academic success, respecting, appreciating, and advocating for the diversity of our student population, and supporting the holistic development of all of our students.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides one-on-one nutritional assessment, counseling and support to the students through the Dining Commons and other Dining Services areas. Maintains timely documentation for students seeking nutritional counseling. Assists students who are on restricted diets with nutrition counseling relevant to available menus and meal plans.
- Develops and oversees Housing's nutrition awareness program with the goal of promoting health and wellness in accordance with the wellness objectives set forth by the University. Provides nutrition expertise to students and staff concerning health, wellness, and diet.
- Develops nutrition education materials and programs to be provided to individual students and groups of students. Works with the Asst. Housing Director for Marketing to serve as a resource of nutritional information for the various media sources in the area.
- Responds and addresses student and parent complaints, problems, and concerns regarding nutritional needs and meal plan choices as appropriate and provides accurate and timely follow-up.
- Prepares and administers internal controls as well as establishing quality control measurement for food safety. Checks operational units, quality control, standards, and reports findings.
- Provide professional guidance to Executive Chefs, Sous Chefs and Food Production Chefs in menu planning and recipe development to ensure that nutritional guidelines and standards are followed.
- Plans and ensures proper, high-quality service and operations within entity and assigned projects. Assures services and products offered meet or exceed nutritional standards as well as campus needs.
- Supports the operation and maintenance of the Menu Management System and Nutritional Information System.
- Participates in and/or presents at campus forums and groups related to outreach activities pertaining to students nutritional needs.
- Directs various Dining Services units on special projects related to menus and food preparation procedures, as needed. Participates in University Dining Services meetings.
- Researches information and organizes lectures, workshops, and speaking events tailored to students or staff, about a diverse range of nutritional topics ranging from sports nutrition to eating disorders.
- Serves as a preceptor to clinical nutrition and food service interns placed within the department.
- Supports the establishment and the evaluation of nutrition program goals and priorities. Serves as facilitator of change based on the identified Dining needs/preferences of students, their families and other guests.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
Required: Bachelor's degree in dietetics, nutrition or related field.
Preferred: Master's degree or higher in one of these fields preferred; Dietetics, PubIic Health or other related field.
Required: Demonstrated experience in the development of menus and food preparation procedures.
Preferred: Experience in nutrition education and experience in consulting with students on nutrition-related issues. Experience with nutrition research and with recipe and food calculations. Experience in writing nutrition newsletters and basic marketing and promotions skills.
Training, Licenses or Certifications:
Required: Possession of current Registered Dietitian licensure from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulations and credentials and registration from the commission of Dietetic Registration (CDR) for the Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsServSafe Food Service Management Certification
Preferred: HACCP certification
Required: Demonstrated knowledge of culinary terms and food production techniques. Demonstrated analytical and organizational skills. Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as in a team environment. Proficiency with windows-based PCs and food production systems. Excellent interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communications skills. The ability to work in an environment with diverse staff and students. Ability to learn university and departmental policies, procedures, rules and regulations. Ability to learn departmental standards of nutritional care. Ability to supervise support staff. Ability to teach, supervise, and evaluate students.
Preferred: Demonstrated knowledge/skill in the operation of a Menu Management System that supports all phases of food production. Strong leadership, management, education, and communication skills.
This is a full-time, 12-month position. The starting date will be as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary is commensurate with experience, and includes an excellent benefits package.
For full consideration, create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references by August 2, 2018. Interviews will take place on a rolling basis once the search opens, but no final decision will be made until after the closing date. All candidates must be currently eligible to work in the United States. Official transcript will be required of all final candidates. Please contact a member of the Housing Human Resources team at [email protected] with any questions you may have.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: University Housing
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Assistant Director-Dietitian for Dining Services - University Housing (99041)
Open Date: 07/19/2018
Close Date: 08/02/2018
Organization Name: Housing Admin-Info