Laboratory Technician 2
Working Title: Laboratory Technician 2
Position Type: University Operational and Administrative Staff
Department: Department of Pharmacology
Posting Date: 07-19-2018
The Department of Pharmacology, within the University of Virginia School of Medicine, seeks a motivated Laboratory Technician II to support and perform research in the laboratory of Dr. Paula Barrett. Duties involve supporting laboratory research aimed at understanding the role of ion channels in hypertension. Responsibilities include managing transgenic mouse colonies (tagging, tailing and genotyping), performing animal surgeries, conducting metabolic cage studies and immunohistochemical staining.
Qualified applicants must have an Associate's Degree or higher with one year of experience in a laboratory setting. Student experience may be considered. Incumbent must be comfortable handling rodents and have excellent communication skills with proficiency in English, knowledge of Mendelian genetics, and experience with PCR. Further information regarding the department's research can be found on the departmental website.
The position is restricted and is contingent on the continuation of funding.
This position will remain open until filled.
To apply for this position, visit https://jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85063 and search on Posting # 0623677. Complete a staff application online, attach a cover letter, resume/CV, and contact information for three references (name, email, phone).
The position will remain open until filled. For questions about the position and application process, please contact Jolene Kidd, at jaa3q@Virginia.EDU or 434-924-1920.
The University of Virginia is an equal opportunity/ affirmative action employer. Women, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to resolve problems.
2. Ability to work accurately with attention to detail.
3. Ability to analyze and organize work procedures.
4. Ability to collect data or samples.
5. Working knowledge of the theory and application of the physical sciences and instrumentation related to field of assignment.
6. Knowledge of general laboratory procedures and equipment.
7. Some knowledge of analytical techniques in chemistry, biology, or related sciences.
8. Ability to plan and execute tasks or experiments.
9. Must be comfortable handling rodents.
10. Must have knowledge of Mendelian genetics.
11. Must have experience with PCR.
12. Excellent communication skills, proficiency in English.
E-mail a Friend: jobs.virginia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=85063