Business Intelligence Data Analyst
The Data Scientist, Manager of Business Intelligence (DS/MBI) performs College institutional effectiveness work by integrating data generated from campus-wide processes, work flows, and data sources. The incumbent conducts analyses of institutional data that inform decision-making and provides business intelligence and insights to the operational and educational activities of the institution. The Data Scientist, Manager of Business Intelligence provides the computer programming, data integration, and analytical reporting to support the quality assurance, data warehousing, and data mining efforts of the Institutional Research Department.
The vision of Life West is to create a brighter future for humanity through graduating chiropractors who have a deep understanding of service, and of the innate potential of the human body to heal and adapt to its environment. The Doctor of Chiropractic program prepares graduates for personal and professional fulfilment in a climate of loving, serving and giving.
The DS/MBI is responsible for the technical support and computer programming that underpins the successful pursuit of the mission of the Institutional Research Department. The department’s mission is to support the College’s strategic and annual planning and to effect initiatives of continuous improvement. This is a central role in assuring the accuracy, quality, and credibility of the institutional data used in analyses of Business Intelligence and in compliance reporting to accrediting agencies and local, state, and federal governmental entities. The DS/MBI is responsible for data mining, data analysis, and data quality functions to support the interpretation of results and preparation of reports and dashboards for both internal and external dissemination. The effective communication of data and their analyses as usable information for the campus community is a key function of the Institutional Research Department and of this position. The DS/MBI will work cooperatively, collaboratively, and across all departments of the institution.
The DS/MBI reports to the Director of Institutional Research and supports strategic and annual planning and departmental reviews of data collection, analyses, and associated processes.
The DS/MBI works independently to develop computational programs and Application Program Interfaces (APIs) to query and integrate data from structured and unstructured sources. The DS/MBI develops digital tools for data collection, algorithms for data cleansing, scripts for statistical analyses, templates and macros for data visualization, and the reports and dashboards for publication. The DS/MBI consults with the Director of Institutional Research to set priorities and determine the need for special studies and analyses as appropriate.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE: EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Desired skills and education requirements are:
- Masters degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Education, or Business Administration
- Minimum of three year’s work experience with statistical software programs such as SPSS, SAS, SAP, and JMP
- Minimum of two year’s work experience with Business Intelligence solutions such as Microsoft PowerTools, Power BI, and cloud analytical environments
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated experience in, the response collection and data management of survey software products, such as of Qualtrics, Survey Monkey, EBI MapWorks-SkyFactor, and Question Pro
- Minimum of two years’ work experience in Institutional Research at a post-secondary college, university or institution of higher education
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated experience in, IT systems integration and computer programming applied to
- the integration of structured and unstructured data sources into centralized data hubs and data warehouses
- the compilation of data for the automation of reporting requirements
- predictive analytics and modeling related student and graduate success
- predictive analytics for business intelligence and decision-making
- data mining tools, data visualization, and analytical software
- the development of interactive dashboards
- Excellent communication skills—including but not limited to
- written reports and documented output from data analyses,
- verbal delivery of formal presentations to stakeholders
- conversations, exchanges in meetings (remotely bridged and face-to-face), and discussions with individuals, third party partners, consultants, and campus personnel
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to work with personnel of technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Minimum of three years’ experience in research and data analytics
- design of research projects
- data acquisition
- research ethics
- data analysis
- formal reporting in oral presentations and written reports
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated experience in, the data management requirements of Quality Systems, including but not limited to
- Quality Control
- Quality Assurance
- Documentation of Training
- Data Monitoring
- Clarification of Errors
Preferred skills are:
- Demonstrated education and accomplishments in Statistics with application in Education, Business Intelligence, Planning, Continuous Improvement, and Compliance
- A resume of accomplishments in the higher education field of Measurement, Evaluation, Statistics and Assessment (MESA)
- Knowledge and experience in the assessment, evaluation, and analysis of Competency Based Education (CBE)
- Nature of work requires an ability to operate standard business office equipment.
- Requires ability to communicate and exchange information, collect, compile and prepare work documents, set-up and maintain work files.
- Provide professional services with integrity
- Provide professional services objectively
- Maintain the knowledge and skill necessary to provide professional services competently
- Be fair and reasonable in all professional relationships. Disclose conflicts of interest
- Protect the confidentiality of all client information
- Act in a manner that demonstrates exemplary professional conduct
- Provide professional services diligently
- Work performed in a general office, classroom and laboratory environment.
This job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties or skills required for the job and is subject to review and change at any time, with or without notice, in accordance with the needs of Life Chiropractic College West. Since no job description can detail all the duties and responsibilities that may be required from time to time in the performance of a job, duties and responsibilities that may be inherent in a job, reasonably required for its performance, or required due to the changing nature of the job shall also be considered part of the jobholder’s responsibility.