Personnel Associate - Human Resources
Department:: Human Resources
Locations:: Fredonia, NY
Posted:: Jul 19, '18
About State University of New York at Fredonia:
The State University of New York at Fredonia is a comprehensive, selective, public, residential, liberal arts university located in beautiful Western New York, just minutes from Lake Erie. Founded in 1826, the university is among the most storied in the State University of New York system and is the first in the SUNY system to be awarded the SUNY Shared Governance Award. It is home to a world-renowned School of Music and over 100 degree programs in the liberal arts, natural and social sciences, education, mathematics, and business. Fredonia also features cutting-edge programs in the emerging fields of technology, service, and communication and is consistently ranked among the top public, master's granting universities in the North by U.S. News and World Report.
Fredonia is known for its strong academic programs, attractive architecture and grounds, rich campus life, and commitment to student engagement and success. Fredonia is focused on ensuring that all Fredonia students, utilizing knowledge developed through a broad range of intellectual experiences, will be:
- Skilled (develop Intellectual and Applied Skills, Literacies and Knowledge),
- Connected (engage Community and Diversity: Local Stewardship, Global Citizenship),
- Creative (demonstrate Scholarship, Artistry, and Innovation), and
- Responsible (activate Sustainability, Ethics, Leadership, and Professionalism).
Read a message from State University of New York at Fredonia's President.
The State University of New York at Fredonia invites applications for a Personnel Associate, 12-month, full-time term-appointed UUP-represented position beginning October 10, 2018. The successful candidate will provide service in the areas of recruitment/employment/onboarding, performance evaluation, proactively monitoring the renewal and non-renewal of Professional employees, database management and report preparation.
Rewards & Benefits
- Competitive compensation plus comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, and vision insurance and retirement plan options including a fixed pension plan or a 401(A) with generous employer contributions;
- Paid leave provisions including sick and holiday leave; impressive educational benefits including tuition-free study plus supplemental tuition aid;
- A rich array of services, programs and benefits to help employees advance in their career and enhance the quality of their personal life, including professional development programs and services, employee EAP and wellness programs, discounted membership to the on-campus fitness center, and access to the Campus and Community Child Care Center.
Reporting to the Director Human Resources, the incumbent will discharge the following responsibilities:
- Provide leadership to the recruitment/employment/on-boarding of all faculty, professional and MC staff including: meet with hiring manager to identify operating needs and essential duties and talent acquisition strategy, co-lead search committee training, in conjunction with the hiring department, identify minimum and preferred positon qualifications, timely post vacancies on Fredonia's on-line platform, work collaboratively with hiring departments to move candidates through the recruitment process, manage all phases of the professional recruitment process consistent with Federal, State and SUNY rules and regulations, coordinate new hire processing with Benefits and Payroll to ensure a seamless assimilation to Fredonia and actively monitor background screens. This detail-oriented and time-sensitive function entails coordinating form completion, processing and follow-up, responding to calls, emails and faxes from employees, hiring departments and other significant stakeholders.
Manage annual Performance evaluation ("PE") process for professional university staff (excluding Faculty):
- Proactively communicate timelines and process associated with the annual PE cycle for all non-teaching Fredonia staff, update HR webpage on all matters related to PE, respond to questions related to the process, produce and distribute Performance Programs ("PP") to facilitate contractually compliant PE, maintain accurate and up-to-date data base to track completion of PP's and PE's, ensure PP's and PE's are completed consistent with established guidelines or collective bargaining strictures and ensure all new hires have a PP in place post hire. Report exceptions to Director.
Manage Professional employee renewal/non-renewal process
- Proactively communicate timelines and process associated with the renewal or non-renewal of professional staff with the functional manager/director and divisional VP, respond to questions related to the renewal/non-renewal process, ensure all renewal and non-renewals decisions are performed in accordance with the mandates of the governing collective bargaining agreement, monitor for completion of renewal or non-renewal recommendation and report exceptions to Director.
- In conjunction with Information Technology Services, develop and utilize a HR-focused information system that allows the incumbent to produce a variety of reports.
- Participate in committees and provide service to the department, college, university, and profession; and;
- Be aware of, understand, and follow all university policies.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business or a related-field from an accredited institution of higher education;
- At least one year paid full-time experience in Human Resources;
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and written skills and the ability to work effectively in a collegial and professional manner;
- The ability to productively multitask, meet goals and deadlines;
- Working knowledge of Human Resource information systems;
- Demonstrated commitment and ability to work with a diverse group of students, faculty, staff and constituents in support of campus and department mission.
- Two or more years' paid full-time experience working in Human Resources;
- At least one year experience working in Human Resources in a college/university or public sector setting;
- Two or more years recruitment/employment/on-boarding experience;
- Familiarity with HRMS and NYSTEP;
- HR experience in a unionized environment;
- Master's degree in HR, Business or a directly-related discipline;
- Commitment to working collegially and collaboratively to support a team-focused environment and HR's and Fredonia's mission;
- Ability to travel;
- Interest in, and commitment to, community engagement.
This is a full-time, term appointed, position beginning October 10, 2018
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
Fredonia prides itself on an outstanding workforce. To continually support organizational excellence, the university conducts background screens on applicants.
An Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, Fredonia provides for, and promotes, equal opportunity employment, compensation, and other terms and conditions of employment, without discrimination.
Pursuant to University policy, the University is committed to fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff, and students, as well as ensuring equal educational opportunity, employment, and access to services, programs, and activities, without regard to an individual's race, color, national origin, religion, creed, age, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, familial status, pregnancy, predisposing genetic characteristics, military status, or domestic violence victim status. Employees, students, applicants or other members of the University community (including but not limited to vendors, visitors, and guests) may not be subjected to harassment that is prohibited by law, or treated adversely or retaliated against based upon a protected characteristic.
The University's policy is in accordance with federal and state laws and regulations prohibiting unlawful discrimination and harassment. These laws include the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 as Amended by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act of 1972, and the New York State Human Rights Law. These laws prohibit discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment and sexual violence.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested candidates shall apply and submit the required documents listed below by clicking on the APPLY NOW button. Complete applications received by August 10, 2018 will be given full consideration. Names and contact information for three professional references are required as part of the application.
- Cover Letter
Note: After submitting your Resume/CV, the subsequent page gives you instructions that enable you to upload the additional, required documents.