Assistant Director of Student Activities for Promotion & Media
General Summary of Position:
The primary responsibility of the Assistant Director position entails being the main coordinator of graphic design and photography for the Division of Student Affairs. With this role this person will create and oversee more than 500 unique marketing projects annually, for 200+ student clubs, organizations, and 15 departments in the Division of Student Affairs and University Events throughout the academic year. Other responsibilities include serving as the liaison and creative consultant on university-wide promotional campaigns with Athletics, University Dining, Academic Affairs, and University Relations. The Assistant Director will also assist in creating a vibrant student graphic design employment/internship processes in conjunction with the College of Fine Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. This is a unique opportunity to work within the Office of Student Activities & Leadership serving students.
This position will assist in the recruitment, training and supervision of Graphic Design Student Employees, Student Social Media Coordinators, and Interns. As well as hold professional development workshops for student organizations to further the knowledge of branding guidelines, best marketing practices, and use of promotional items.
Serve as Program advisor for clubs and organizations related to media and marketing including but not limited to: Art Club, yearbook, The Connector: the weekly student newspaper. Program advising includes but is not limited to advisement in the realm of photography and graphic design, budgeting, and marketing.
Oversee budget for over 500 projects throughout the academic year. Including ordering of promotional print materials and in house printing supplies, and orders. Negotiates outside vendor relationships for printing, which includes all communications, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
The Assistant Director will promote the University’s commitment to customer service by:
- Build effective partnerships with co-workers throughout the University by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
- Ensuring optimum service to all internal and external partners in response to all requests for service and information.
- Maintaining an environment that is welcoming to persons of all backgrounds, nationalities, and roles.
The Assistant Director position is a full-time, 12-month position, reporting to the Associate Director of Student Activities & Leadership.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor's Degree in Fine Arts or Graphic Design or related field
• Three years professional experience, demonstrated proficiency in print management, including comprehensive experience on both PC and Mac platform in Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Flash, Lightroom, AfterEffects and Adobe Photoshop (CS4, CS5, CS6) and professional experience in design and branding in a diverse higher education setting and experience supervising Graphic Design student interns and clubs/organizations
• Candidates must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience working with student organizations in a college level Student Activities office
• Candidates must demonstrate experience managing multiple projects at once
• Innovative and comprehensive portfolio demonstrating depth of experience in graphic design, photography and collegiate marketing
• Proven track record working with University Public Affairs Department
• Candidates must have demonstrated experience in print and Web process, with attention to detail
- Masters Degree in Fine Arts, Graphic Design, or Higher Education Administration or related field
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume and cover letter with your application. Names and contact information of three references will be required at the time of application.