Dean of the School of Education and Health Sciences
Dean of the School of Education and Health Sciences (July 1, 2019 start date)
North Central College, in partnership with the national search firm Scott Healy & Associates, is seeking applications and nominations for an innovative and entrepreneurial leader to be the next Dean of the School of Education and Health Sciences (July 1, 2019 start date). The Dean is responsible for planning, developing, coordinating, reviewing, and administering all the programs in the School and for ensuring the maintenance of all accreditations. The Dean serves as the primary advocate and liaison for the School faculty in matters of curriculum, policy, program development, and resource allocation. The Dean will also be expected to maintain and strengthen the relationships with our community partners, in particular, local and regional health and fitness organizations, and school districts. The Dean reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
About The School of Education and Health Sciences:
The School builds connections between the College’s liberal arts-based foundation and academic majors. All undergraduate and graduate programs in the School prepare students to contend with a constantly evolving professional environment by developing skills in critical thinking, communication and problem solving through experiential and applied learning. All students are expected to develop competency in intercultural effectiveness, research skills and the implementation of evidence-based best practices. Thus each program features a unique blend of theory and hands-on learning in supervised field experiences such as internships, clinical rotations and practicums, and student teaching. Faculty members bring diverse experiential backgrounds to the classroom daily and, as active scholars, they encourage undergraduate research and a spirit of inquiry. The intentional integration of the liberal arts and professional and pre-professional studies is a hallmark of a North Central education.
About North Central College:
Founded in 1861, North Central College is a selective, comprehensive liberal arts institution of about 3000 students, located 28 miles west of Chicago in Naperville. The college is within walking distance of the Naperville Metra station and is next to downtown Naperville. The Naperville area is home to many excellent school districts and Naperville, IL has been ranked as one of the best places to live by Money magazine. For more information, please visit: http://www.noctrl.edu.
Though affiliated with the United Methodist Church, we welcome and encourage students and staff of all faiths. We are thoughtfully expanding our academic programs to respond to the needs of our ever-changing world, recently adding Environmental Studies and Middle Eastern and North African Studies. The College is in a period of growth with the addition of a $60 million Science Center opened in March 2017.
As chief academic officer of the College, the Dean provides leadership to advance the educational and scholarly missions of programs in the College and fosters an inclusive environment that encourages an academic climate that is responsive, student-centered, innovative, entrepreneurial and values diversity. Among the Dean’s most immediate priorities are:
- Serving on the Council of Deans, Provost’s Council, President’s Council, and other college academic committees;
- Leading the timely and strategic development of new graduate programs in health, wellness, and education, as well as programs for traditional undergraduate and post-traditional students;
- Building strong collaborations with internal and external constituents: faculty, current students, and the local and regional health and wellness and K-12 school communities;
- Promoting the School’s programs and actively assist in the recruitment of highly qualified students and faculty;
- Coordinating efforts to maintain the School’s compliance and accreditation standards;
- Supporting the acquisition of resources through fundraising and grants;
- Ensuring compliance with the conditions for grants currently in process;
- Enhancing the School’s presence locally, regionally, and nationally; and
- Providing leadership and oversight for the pursuit of new external accreditations, such as CAEP.
- An earned doctorate or terminal degree in a health and wellness, healthcare, education, or related field;
- A record of successful teaching and scholarship that would qualify candidate for appointment at the rank of full professor with tenure;
- Experience developing and implementing successful health and wellness or education programs at the master’s and doctoral levels;
- Exceptionally strong communication skills (verbal, written, interpersonal) and the ability to quickly establish and maintain strong rapport at all levels of the College in order to collaborate effectively and build partnerships inside and outside of the college;
- Prior administrative experience at the level of dean, department chair or similar position;
- Experience administering programs with external accreditation and successfully leading programs through the accreditation process;
- Successful experience in or demonstrated capacity for fundraising;
- Skills and experience in strategic planning, fiscal planning, and resource management;
- Demonstrated success in developing and managing diverse teams and in championing diversity;
- Demonstrated experience with grant administration;
- Demonstrated evidence of a flexible, energetic, creative, and results-oriented leadership style that promotes trust, autonomy, and accountability.
North Central College is partnering with the national search firm Scott Healy & Associates for this search. All applications and nominations are to be directed electronically to the College’s recruitment consultant:
Mr. Christopher S. Healy
Scott Healy & Associates
Complete applications will include the following:
- Cover Letter outlining your interest and qualifications for the Dean position
- Updated CV
- List of five (5) professional references including name, title, contact information and relationship to you
Applications received by September 4, 2018 will receive priority consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
North Central College is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to increasing the diversity of our workforce. North Central College provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. If you need reasonable accommodation, please notify the Office of Human Resource. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
Apply for Dean of the School of Education and Health Sciences
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly