INSTAAR Institute Director
The University of Colorado Boulder seeks applications for the Director of the Institute of Arctic and Alpine Research (INSTAAR). The successful candidate will also be a tenured or tenure-track professor in a department appropriate to the candidate's training and interests. The University expects applicants to have an outstanding record of scholarly achievement in cold-regions research, and an established or emerging record of scientific leadership and managerial ability. The Director is INSTAAR's Chief Executive Officer, with primary responsibility for leadership by providing vision and strategies for the future, and by overseeing its management and financial operations. The position reports to the Vice-Chancellor for Research and Innovation. Candidates must be able to balance the management of the Institute with a vigorous research program and a commitment to training the next generation of diverse interdisciplinary environmental scientists.
Who we are:
INSTAAR is connected to six academic departments, administers CU-Boulder's Mountain Research Station, and fosters important collaborations with Federal labs, including NOAA, NASA, NCAR and USGS. Through extensive field campaigns, backed by state-of-the-art analyses of samples and numerical modeling, INSTAAR is an internationally recognized leader in the earth and environmental sciences. While INSTAAR has maintained a strong tradition in the study of Earth's high-altitude and high-latitude regions, members of the Institute also conduct basic research on processes operating in the atmosphere, oceans, and landmasses on Quaternary through contemporary timescales. INSTAAR researchers develop scientific knowledge of the processes that control environmental change at local, regional, and global scales, and apply that knowledge to further society's understanding of Earth System change. INSTAAR recently moved into a new building with state-of-the-art analytic laboratories and expanded computational facilities that are co-located with other University of Colorado environmental research groups. For more information please visit http://instaar.colorado.edu.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Manage the Institute with a vigorous research program and a commitment to training the next generation of diverse interdisciplinary environmental scientists.
- Serve as chief representative of INSTAAR outside the institute and is responsible for oversight of the INSTAAR budget and for all personnel actions and commitments of resources by INSTAAR.
- Convene and preside over meetings of the INSTAAR Executive/Leadership Committee(s), and maintain direct communication with the administrators of collaborating research groups external to INSTAAR.
What we can offer:
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be ambitious. Be impactful. Be visionary. Be boulder.
What we require:
- Ph.D. in a related field.
- Record of outstanding scholarly achievement in cold-regions research.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by September 15, 2018.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. Applicants should upload a letter of interest, current CV, statements on research, education, and leadership, in addition to the names of four individuals who may be contacted for letters of recommendation.
2. The Search Committee welcomes nominations or questions that should be sent to: INSTAARsearch@colorado.edu.
3. Review of applications will begin September 15, 2018 and continue until the position is filled. The desired start date for this position is August 15, 2019.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10099 - INSTAAR-Inst,Arctic&Alpin Rsch
Posting Date: Jul 5, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00740273