Student Services Specialist
Job ID: 24553
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1035
Department: Office of the Registrar
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Salary: $3,337/month
Salary Range: $3,115/month - $5,316/month
FLSA status: Non - Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Associate Registrar and working independently under limited supervision, the Student Services Specialist is responsible for providing support to a range of complex functions in the Office of the Registrar involving the exercise of a high degree of judgment. The incumbent's responsibilities include: Student Record Management, Customer Service Relations, Open University Gmail Account Management, National Student Clearinghouse Account Management, Official Transcript Database Management, Office of the Registrar Liaison to Colleges, Academic Departments, and all other constituents of the University, Management of Reinstatement Petitions, and Diploma on Demand Support.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Checks and verifies discrepancies in registration and grading records received from departments, chairs, deans, students, and staff to ensure compliance with Academic Senate policy, Executive Orders, and Title V.
- Coordinates with evaluators, department staff, UGS, GSR, chairs, and deans when performing record updates, grade changes, multiple repeat processing, incomplete processing, and academic standing updates and corrections to student records, instructor drops, late drops and adds, retro-drops and adds, miscellaneous exception petitions.
- Performs extensive research of records such as verifying for accuracy and completeness as required in updating, correcting and locating data from various mediums, such as microfilm, old folders, boxes of stored records, old spreadsheets in Brio, as well as a legacy database from conversion in 2003. The records database includes an archive of records dating back to150 years.
- Performs in-depth processes using a variety of complex student information databases, such as PeopleSoft, FileMaker, and NOLIJ. The employee is required to completely understand how the PeopleSoft student records module system and other databases work, and how the processes impacts end users to ensure accuracy of data.
- Performs registration for students unable to register online. This includes regular and special session students. Develop and maintain an expert knowledge of the PeopleSoft student records module system, the complex requisite checking process that changes based on department needs, individual department requirements, and how to read and enforce negative and positive service indicators.
- Performs Open University registration, which requires an understanding of the above, as well as the search match and quick admit processes in PeopleSoft.
- At the end of the semester, the grades earned in the POS are verified. If student gets the required overall GPA, the student is reinstated and the student is sent an email notification. If not, the reinstatement is denied, the database is updated and a new letter is generated and sent to the student.
Education and Experience
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents and three years of related office work experience.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Two years of professional work experience in student records or a related field (police, hospital, etc.)
- Two years of experience in a high volume setting providing excellent customer service in higher education or related environment.
- Experience using databases (i.e.: SIS, Banner, PeopleSoft, FileMaker Pro, Excel Spreadsheet) or comparable databases.
- Strong written communication skills.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of policies and the ability to interpret them.
- Knowledge in order to navigate PeopleSoft in daily tasks.
- Ability to learn new systems and technological tools.
- Knowledge of software applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, and database management, and PeopleSoft
- Ability to perform accurate and detail-oriented tasks.
- Ability to handle multiple work priorities, organize and plan work and projects.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to inquiries and requests related to the work area.
- Ability to understand problems from a broader perspective and anticipate the impact of office administration problems and solutions on the areas.
- Ability to analyze operational and procedural problems and develop, recommend, and evaluation proposed solutions.
- Ability to effectively handle interpersonal interactions at all levels and handle sensitive interpersonal situations.
May 10, 2018
Application Screening begins May 25, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
List of References
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046