University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
This Business Intelligence (BI) Analyst exists to support and enhance the university's reporting and analytics on the Data and Business Intelligence team. The university currently maintains a Cognos reporting system that is used to develop reporting options for business offices and campus users.
The Business Intelligence Analyst is a customer-centric position focused on collaborating and advising report developers, communicating the roll-out of enhancements, end-user adoption, and continued successes of the Cognos deliverables. This role provides ongoing end-user support, maintains a solid BI architecture tool and provides customer guidance on BI best practices, as a member of smaller Business Intelligence team. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Data and Business Intelligence and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff system.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Responsible for front-line support of enterprise reporting and BI tools.
- Perform technical analysis and troubleshoot system problems.
- Utilize best practices to assist with BI strategic vision and subsequent implementation of strategic initiatives.
- Collaborate with report developers and department decision makers to encourage tool adoption.
- Facilitate classroom BI tool training sessions and ongoing mentoring to end users within the CU System
- Provide content for the team's web site blog and training efforts.
- Provide guidance and oversight of analytical reporting and dashboards to campus and system customers.
- Collaborate with end users and developers to determine business requirements.
- Communicate requirements to ETL developers and assist end users with User Acceptance Testing (UAT) needs.
- Participate in the implementation of end-to-end BI solutions.
- Develop complex analytical Cognos reports and/or OLAP cube generation for the UIS department and/or other campus departments as needed.
- Utilize best practices to review existing reports, recommend performance improvements, and advise best visual representation of analytics.
- Analyze data to help campus customers to identify new BI trends.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of data warehouse concepts.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and Relations Database Management Systems.
- Knowledge of database design and data modeling
- Ability to effectively communicate, in writing and verbally.
- Ability to be a team player and highly motivated to work independently.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate technical solutions to technical and non-technical users.
- Enthusiastic service orientation with sensitivity to the needs of users at all skill levels.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong performance tuning skills, Oracle, and Cognos skills.
- Expertise in data visualization including statistical and information graphics and plots.
Who we are: System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. This position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
What we offer:
Salary: The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $87,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Day: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
Click here to access our Total Compensation Calculator to see what your total rewards could be at CU. This position is a University Staff position.
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Three (3) years of professional experience developing reports using Cognos version 10 or newer, MicroStrategy, or other report tools to build complex, robust reports, OLAP cubes and dashboards.
- Three (3) years of advanced SQL experience.
- Three (3) years of professional experience working directly with customers advising them on requirements, providing guidance on analytical reporting methodologies, and best practices.
- Reporting experience in a higher education setting.
- Visual arts training or degree.
- Experience reporting on data warehouse data and/or exposure to star-schema design.
- Thorough understanding of the software development life cycle (SDLC).
- Experience facilitating large BI tool training sessions.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Friday, July 27, 2018. Those who do not apply by July 27, 2018 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history. The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires a verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by July 27, 2018.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Jul 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00749973