Director of Finance & Administration
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine | Department of Pharmacology
Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director)
Position #746135 - Requisition 13815
The Department of Pharmacology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Director of Finance & Administration (Business Services Director) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The Department of Pharmacology is seeking applications for a Director of Finance & Administration. This full-time University Staff (unclassified) position is responsible for directing the administrative activities within the Department while ensuring fiscal compliance of all internal and external policies and procedures. The Director oversees the Department's administrative endeavors including the following: finance; grants and contracts (pre- and post-award); human resources; procurement; information technology and services; official functions; asset and space management; and, day-to-day operations in support of the Department, School of Medicine and University mission and goals. The Director serves as the Department's administrative representative to the School of Medicine, University of Colorado Denver, and the University of Colorado system overall with regard to relevant fiscal and administrative matters.
This position directs, recruits, hires, instructs, retains, and provides performance reviews for departmental administrative staff in accordance with the human resources rules and regulations.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Works closely with the Department Chair to provide finance and administrative direction of current and long term planning concerning finance, grants and contracts budgets, personnel, space, equipment, information technology, etc. This includes the University Table I annual salary setting processes; annual state budgets; assessing grant, contract, and research budgets per faculty/Principal Investigator; and, quarterly financial reports to the Chair.
- Directs ~ $20M in total grant, contract, and research annual funds, as well as ~ $4M in Department funds that include the following sources: state, contract, Academic Enrichment Funds, auxiliary, Technology Transfer, gift, and CU Medicine within compliance of all fiduciary policies.
- Directs the administration of ~ 126 grant application proposals per year consisting of ~ $22M in first-year direct-costs budgets.
- Directs ~ $8M per year in (salaries only) payroll via the Human Capital Management system within compliance of all fiduciary policies.
- Directs ~ $3.2M per year in procurement via Marketplace, procurement card transactions, travel, reimbursements, etc.
- Directs personnel management within all State, University, Department policies of hires, terminations, resignations, visa applications, annual evaluations, ePERs, etc.
- Administers faculty salary distributions within University, Department, and grantor policies.
- Reviews and counsels on annual Department space allocations and research productivity for the Department overall and per Principal Investigator. Directs the University annual Webspace report for the Department.
- Directs the University biannual equipment asset-management audit.
- Directs official functions within compliance of all funding policies.
- Directs the creation and updates on the Department pages on the University website and the Department Oracle database.
- Directs the Department information systems and technology support needs and assure secure storage of administrative and research data.
- Directs and manages the Department core equipment and cores.
- Directs the Department building maintenance, repair, and renovation projects.
- Serves as a liaison for the Department within the School of Medicine, University and external entities such as facilitating gift donations.
- Performs other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in public or business administration, accounting, finance, or a closely related field from an accredited institution.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience related to administrative management, finance, grants and contracts, etc.
Substitution: A combination of relevant education and experience may substitute for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis. A Master's degree in public or business administration, accounting, finance, or a closely related field may substitute for two years of required experience.
- A Master's degree in public or business administration, accounting, finance or a closely related field.
- Experience working with University of Colorado systems including PeopleSoft HCM, Concur, mFin Financial Reports, Webspace, etc.
- Experience working with University of Colorado processes related to procurement, grants & contracts, capital asset management, etc.
- Experience working with Microsoft Excel and Word.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of human resources polices, procurement policies, budgets, financial reports, grants and contracts, MS Office, etc.
- Thorough understanding of State, University, and grantors' fiscal policies.
- Strong independent judgment as well as intrinsic motivation.
- A key aspect of this position is the ability to prioritize and handle multiple competing deadlines simultaneously.
- The individual must be highly organized and detailed oriented.
- Outstanding management, supervisory and leadership skills.
- This position will work closely with individuals in the Department such as the following: the Chair, faculty, laboratory personnel, administrative staff, etc. In addition, this position will work closely with the School and University administration, Facilities, granting agencies, and other directors on a regular basis. Communication will be across departmental and central administration lines. Business conduct and an ability to maintain effective lines of communication are required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Jennifer Orsund at Jennifer.Orsund@ucdenver.edu.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled, but full consideration will be given to complete applications received by July 24, 2018. Those who do not apply by July 24, 2018 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Jul 13, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: Jennifer.Orsund@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00746135