Student Services Specialist, Graduate Awards
Job Description Summary:
I. JOB OVERVIEW
The Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (CCAS) is the intellectual and creative backbone of the university, a place where the arts, the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences come together to form a nexus of ideas and opportunity. As a leader among the nation's liberal arts institutions because of an innovative curriculum that emphasizes perspectives, analyses, and communication, undergraduate students are equipped with the competencies needed to be effective and responsible citizens of the 21st Century.
Columbian College's doctoral, master's and graduate certificate programs offer a transformative experience, connecting students with some of the most influential leaders and institutions while partnering with public and private organizations in the nation's capital and around the globe.
Our graduate students are prepared for academic and professional advancement through an education steeped in rigorous scholarship and practical application.
The CCAS Graduate Student Services office is seeking a Student Services Specialist, Graduate Awards working to ensure the delivery and accurate tracking of graduate awards to current and prospective graduate students in the College of Arts and Sciences, in order to aid the College's graduate enrollment goals and support the recruitment of an excellent and diverse graduate student body. The Student Services Specialist, Graduate Awards will act as a resource for Columbian College graduate students, faculty and staff on awards opportunities, policies, and systems training.
-Assists the Associate Director of Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships with processing of 2,100+ award offers per year. Delivers award letters. Duties include:
• Acting as School Fellowship Initiator by entering award information into the awards offer system (Banner Workflow)
• Prepares and delivers award letters to students, ensuring accuracy and timeliness for scholarship offers
• Assists Associate Director in tracking award allocations for various scholarship programs; provides up to date information about projected spending and use of awards to strategically improve yield for master's programs
• Analyzes yield rates throughout the admissions cycle and works with Office of Graduate Studies leadership to adjust scholarship offers in a dynamic environment. Makes decisions on scholarship offers in line with the goals set by the College.
• Maintains award responses in databases
-Manages application functions for special College award programs:
• Ensure students are registered correctly and in accordance with their award
• Handles application and awarding procedures for campus visit reimbursement, travel grant, and other special award programs for the College
• Ensures that award applications are properly handled, provides support to awarding committees to review nominations
• Assists student with registration issues as necessary
• • Tracks renewals of ongoing award commitments to master's students, including responsibility for maintaining updated award records for current students and in Office of Graduate Studies systems
• Assist Admissions office in handling applications for admission during peak times
-Policies and Communication:
• Maintains thorough and up to date understanding of CCAS award policies and procedures
• Manages communication on scholarship opportunities, both internal and external, for graduate students
• Responds to student inquiries about scholarship opportunities.
• Exercises professional judgment to refer difficult cases to the Associate Director or other GW office as appropriate
• Manages training events, including Banner workflow sessions for all administrative staff and directors of graduate study for each award cycle. Communicates information about systems and procedures to College stakeholders
• Advises faculty and staff on award policies and troubleshoots and solves complex issues related to graduate awards
• Maintains training documents for award nomination systems
• Prepares end of year reporting on various award programs, including information on use of allocated funds and yield rates.
• Provides analysis on award programs
• Reviews award audit reports regularly to identify issues or inaccuracies.
- Website Maintenance:
• Updates and suggests additions and improvements to the CCAS Graduate Studies awards website page
• Works with Associate Director to prepare admitted and current student communications regarding award programs and opportunities
• Assists Associate Director and the Graduate Studies Committee with creation of awards application procedures and application portals for special awards programs
- Operational Continuity:
• Acts as a backup School Fellowship Coordinator and secondary liaison with the Office of Graduate Assistantships and Fellowships, OVPR, Financial Aid, and other University offices regarding routine matters that pertain to graduate funding in the College
- Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• High attention to detail
• Demonstrated ability to work with and analyze numerical data
• Able to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Able to work independently and prioritize efficiently
• Excellent organizational, technical, and time management skills
• Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Experience with scholarships at an institution of higher learning is strongly desired
• Experience with Drupal a plus
• Proficiency with database software, Excel, and/or SalesForce/Target X a plus
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Enrollment Services Sub-Family Generalists Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday; 8:30am-5:30pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007392 Job Open Date: 07/03/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have experience working with awards, fellowships or Scholarships?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience working in an institute of higher education with graduate students?
- * Describe a time during which you had to synthesize and analyze large amounts of data.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter