Administrative Coordinator for the Clinical Laboratory Science Program
Job ID: 24644
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job Code: 1035
Department: Clinical Laboratory Scientist
Classification: Administrative Support Coordinator II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $3,800/month - $4,000/month
Salary Range: $3,115/month - $5,316/month
FLSA status: Non-Exempt
San Jose State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package. For more information on programs available, please visit http://www.sjsu.edu/hr/benefits/
About the Position
Reporting to the Director of Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS), the Administrative Support Coordinator provides essential administrative support to the CLS Department. Working independently under general direction, the incumbent is responsible for coordination of the clerical administrative support functions for the department to support the Director, students, and faculty.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Maintains electronic and paper records of applicants and current and past students; liaison to students in application process and throughout the program; monitors their progress through clinical rotations electronically.
- Coordinates student interviews and orientations.
- Answers inquiries about the CLS program by email and phone
- Serves as a resource for the department on University policies and procedures.
- Maintains various electronic faculty/student databases.
- Maintains and updates master documents, website and marketing materials.
- Coordinates CLS events and meetings; including interviews, orientation, luncheons and graduations.
- Assist with marketing and advertisement of the programs and events.
- Coordinates, oversees, communicates, and performs, as necessary, all administrative office operational duties.
- Serves as frontline receptionist, assisting and directing walk-ins and phone calls to appropriate office
- Provide information and educate students on CLS program.
- Serves as a resource for the College of Science faculty, staff, students and the public on University policy and procedures.
- Responds to student inquiries related to their academic requirements.
- Prepares all requisitions and POs for reimbursement and tracks program expenditures
- Manages travel and staff reimbursements and purchase requisitions
- Oversees the maintenance of departmental supplies and equipment. i.e., computers, printers, copiers, fax machines.
- Coordinate and monitor department budget.
- Manages and maintains confidential personnel files, absence reports, and other employment records.
- Maintains department files and records.
- Maintains confidential working files, absence reports, and other employment records for the department.
- Oversee use and service calls for copier, printer, fax and shredder.
- Orders and maintains office supplies.
Education and Experience
Completion of a high school program, technical/vocational program, or their equivalents combined and three years of related office work experience.
- Two years of progressively responsible administrative and office support/front desk customer service experience
- PeopleSoft or similar databases and standard office software applications (MS Office, Peoplesoft)
- Working in a higher education environment
- Demonstrated ability to create various departmental reports
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively in person, in writing and by telephone
- Ability to maintain cordial, professional relationships with faculty, staff and students in a culturally diverse environment
- Advanced organizational skills
- Ability to work independently, use problem-solving skills, be creative and a team player
- Knowledge of computers and programs such as Microsoft Suite and Adobe Acrobat
- Ability to develop, organize and maintain various office systems
- Ability to monitor a budget and reconcile financial records
- Knowledge of and skills in standard office procedures and practices;
- Knowledge of office systems and ability to use a broader range of technology, systems, and packages.
- Thorough mastery of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to draft, compose and present correspondence and reports.
- Ability to troubleshoot most office administration problems and respond to all inquiries and requests related to work area.
- Thorough knowledge of software applications, such as word processing, spreadsheet and database.
- Ability to learn and become proficient in PeopleSoft.
- Ability to perform business math, analyze salary data, calculate ratios and percentages, track financial data, and make accurate projections.
- Ability to handle effectively a broader range of interpersonal contacts, including those at a higher level and those sensitive in nature
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures independently, and use judgment and discretion to act when precedents do not exist.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple administrative and clerical tasks for a variety of users, set schedules, complete projects accordingly, and direct
- student assistants
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, handle multiple work unit priorities and projects, and perform accurately in a detail-oriented
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and appropriately handle sensitive communications with employees and external agencies
- Ability to quickly learn and apply a variety of state, federal, CSU, and SJSU policies and procedures
- Ability to use negotiation and persuasion skills to achieve results and expedite
July 12, 2018
Application Screening begins July 30, 2018
Applications received before that date will receive first consideration.
This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Required Application Material:
Letter of interest
Complete SJSU Online Employment Application
Please note that failure to completely fill out each section of the online application may result in your application not receiving consideration.
Note To Applicant
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (i.e. H1-B VISAS)
All San Jos State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
SJSU is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
It is the policy of SJSU to provide reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.
One Washington Square San Jose, CA 95192-0046