Senior Research Assistant, Cancer Engineering
Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The George Washington University invites applications from scientists interested in contributing to its vibrant research program at the George Washington Cancer Center (GWCC). The GWCC (http://smhs.gwu.edu/cancercenter/) brings together the resources of the George Washington University, the GW Medical Faculty Associates, and the GW University Hospital to expand current research efforts in the fight against cancer and to position our institution as the premier cancer care provider in the Washington, D.C. area.
The GWCC is seeking a candidate to fulfill the role of Senior Research Assistant within the Fernandes research group at the GWCC. The Fernandes group (https://fernandeslab.weebly.com/) is part of the GWCC and works in the field of cancer engineering, wherein the focus of projects undertaken is to devise innovative solutions to fight cancer using nanotechnology/nanomedicine. These include, but are not limited to, the synthesis, biofunctionalization, and characterization of nanotechnology-based platforms to target, image, and/or treat cancer and testing these platforms both in vitro and in appropriate animal models. The long-term goal is to translate the findings of these projects into novel diagnostic or treatment modalities for cancer. A suitable candidate would therefore have research interests in both cancer biology and engineering.
This position reports to the Lab Manager and will receive mentorship from the PI.
- Planning and scheduling experiments consistent with the timeline and objectives of ongoing projects.
- Troubleshooting experiments after consultation with the Lab Manager and PI.
- Reviewing the literature and collecting, analyzing and reporting data related to assigned projects.
- Following established protocols and procedures in the lab, complying with biosafety guidelines and good lab practices.
- Maintaining and troubleshooting equipment as assigned by the Lab Manager.
- Participating in group meetings and
effectively presenting data.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a BA/BS and 1 year of experience in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Engineering, Biology, or a related field preferred.
- Experience with working in an independent research laboratory (excluding course-related laboratory work)
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5:30 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000604 Job Open Date: 07/13/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and Contact Information for References
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3