I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Mount Vernon Campus is a branch campus of The George Washington University, providing residential space for 700 students, recreational facilities and academic programs (Honors, Women's Leadership, Forensics and University Writing. Our team is committed to leadership, community, advising and our own departmental excellence. We strive to serve not only our students, but also each other as colleagues. This position helps to ensure that the department's initiatives related to events are achieved, which includes helping to prepare and submit
annual goals and objective statements.
Reporting to the Director, Mount Vernon Campus Events, the Events Planner helps to ensure that the department's initiatives related to events are achieved, which includes helping to prepare and submit annual goals and objective statements.
- Oversees and manages the entire event planning process for the MVC, including creating event planning processes and budget and project management.
- Directs the scheduling process for campus events, working with academic scheduling and other campus partners, as well was external clients.
- Interacts and meets with GW staff, students, and/or external clients to identify the focus and scope of events in order to coordinate the administrative activities necessary to conduct events. Outside clients often include those from corporations, government agencies and non-profit organizations.
- Coordinates activities through various GW offices to schedule space, equipment, and other related requirements for events, to include preparing client contracts which identify the specifications from each event.
- Coordinates activities performed by internal and external contacts to develop and communicate promotional information on events; may involve authorizing work performed by outside sources and vendors.
- Management and scheduling of student staff workers
- Prepares and communicates event documents and logistical instructions to venue staff to include serving as the on-site manager during actual events that are conducted.
- Conducts meeting with student staff and facilities staff to establish and communicate standard procedures aimed at improving the quality of service provided to clients.
The position is based at GW's Mount Vernon Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Project Management capabilities, ability to manage timelines and track workflow of competing projects
- Strong computer and software skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Mount Vernon, DC College/School/Department: Division of Student Affairs Family Comm, Mktg & Media Sub-Family Events Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 9:00am to 5:30pm, with occasional nights and weekends. Schedule may vary. Position Designation: Non-Essential: Employees who are not required to work unless directed to do so by their supervisor. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007432 Job Open Date: 07/13/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your expected salary range?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter