Position Number: 10043579
Benefits Eligible: Yes
Campus Location: Dahlonega
Job Close Date: 07/26/2018
General Summary: The University of North Georgia is currently accepting applications for a Network Technician at the Dahlonega campus. The Network Technician member of IT Network & Telecom team responsible for first line of on-site network technical support to resolve network issues related to passive and active network hardware, servers, IP address problems, network connection problems, and network-centered system configuration issues. Position assists with installation of network equipment and low voltage cabling. This position requires occasional evening and/or weekend hours, and may also require occasional travel to all campuses requiring network services.
Located in the fastest-growing region of the state, the University of North Georgia is a multi-campus university with an enrollment of over 19,000 students, making it one of the largest institutions in the University System of Georgia. UNG is focused on a mission of educational excellence, leadership development and community engagement opportunities that develop students into leaders for a diverse and global society. Through a variety of educational pathways that provide access and range from certificates and associate degrees to a professional doctoral program, UNG is responsive to regional education and economic development needs. Federally designated as a senior military college, one of the university's signature leadership programs is its 800-member Corps of Cadets on UNG's Dahlonega Campus.
Job Duties & Responsibilities: The Network Technician will:
- Deploying, monitoring, and maintaining wired and wireless networking for all infrastructure services, including but not limited to LAN, WAN, Wi-Fi, telephony, security cameras, UPS deployment, and CATV.
- Respond to Tier I trouble tickets and escalates Tier II, III tickets to the appropriate staff.
- Assist in the deployment of physical and virtual networking.
- Assist in network switch and router configuration, installation, backup, and maintenance, in collaboration with the networking staff.
- Proactive network analysis and troubleshooting to prevent and resolve user issues.
- Assist in the maintenance of network diagrams, perform physical cable location for underground and in-building wiring, and perform installation of low voltage cabling according to university standards.
- Perform preventative maintenance on network systems. Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must have working knowledge of fiber optics, copper cabling, media converters, and the tools used to install and support these; Understanding of network protocols.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills.
- Ability to use a protocol analyzer to detect, locate and solve potential network problems; Ability to multi-task, manage workload, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate with team members and users in an effective manner; Ability and willingness to stay abreast of and evaluate emerging technologies.
- Ability to travel between campuses.
- Must be able to lift heavy equipment.
Certifications/Licenses & Minimum Requirements:
- Associate's degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in networking/telecommunications design, maintenance and repair; or, an equivalent combination of education, certification and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job as listed above.
- CCENT, Network+ desired.
Required Documents: Cover Letter, Resume/Curriculum Vitae
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please submit contact information for three professional references. This position will require a background check and DMV check.
Employer Information: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of a background investigation, as determined by the University of North Georgia in its sole discretion. The University of North Georgia, a unit of the University System of Georgia, is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sex or national origin, age, disability, religion, genetics or veteran status. Georgia is an open records state. Also, UNG is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans.
We provide equal employment opportunities to minorities, females, protected veterans, and disabled individuals, as well as other protected groups.
The University of North Georgia is committed to providing equal opportunity to all qualified applicants without discrimination at the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, sex, age, disability or handicap as a matter of college policy and as required by applicable state and federal laws.