HCC Mascot Swoop - Pool Req
Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Provide entertainment as the Houston Community College eagle mascot, Swoop at a variety of public appearances, including but not limited to sports games, student life events, marketing and community appearances, parades, ribbon cuttings, and graduation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Represent HCC at a wide range of events throughout the community;
- Preserve the identity of the mascot without deviating from established character including: body language/mannerisms, attitude, interaction, and institutional representation;
- Have an enthusiastic and high energy at all times to keep the entertainment level high;
- Meet, greet, and take pictures with students, staff, attendees, fans, etc. prior to and after the game or event;
- Create skits, dance routines, and other forms of mascot-related entertainment, crowd engagement and fan interactions;
- Responsible for mascot costume operations including care, cleaning, maintenance, etc.;
- Perform and/or provide support to all necessary community appearances including but not limited to sports games, student life events, parades, ribbon cuttings, media, community events, graduation, and private functions;
- Work directly with the Student Engagement, Marketing and Communications departments with any promotions when necessary; and
- Participate in video appearances as well as needed to create promotional materials.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
Associate's degree required, or currently enrolled as an HCC student.
Previous experience as a mascot or performance, team cheer and/or team dance is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Due to costume restrictions, candidates must be at least 5 feet 7 inches tall but no more than 5 feet 11 inches tall;
- Must be able to lift approximately 50 lbs.;
- Must be well organized and flexible to meet time, priority and workload demands;
- Must be able to arrive at agreed-upon times - punctuality is mandatory;
- Must be available to work flexible hours including nights and weekends;
- Must be able to work in a costume and develop the character and persona of the mascot according to the clients' needs;
- Creative, ambitious, friendly and outgoing personality with the ability to motivate others; and
- Ideal candidate should be in good physical condition, highly energetic, athletic and have some performance background.
Highlights: We are currently seeking an exceptional individual who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
Next steps: If you always have the student experience in the forefront of your planning and execution, if you're a collaborator, an innovator and a person who gets things done, apply today!
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Fourth-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- Approximately 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
Houston Community College does not discriminate on the bases of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies
David Cross, Director EEO/Compliance, Title IX Coordinator
Office of Institutional Equity
PO Box 667517
Houston TX, 77266
713 718.8271 or [email protected]
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.
Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact (713) 718-8565
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.