Reporting to the Associate Director, Facilities and Operations of the Student Center Complex (University Center and Shalala Student Center), the Facilities Operations Representative – Night Shift provides direct supervision of the Student Center Complex’s service operations primarily during the evening and early morning hours. The Facilities Operations Representative – Night/Weekend Shift provides essential services to student activities and professional events throughout the Complex, and assists in the maintenance of Student Center Complex equipment, furnishings, and systems. The Facilities Operations Representative – Night/Weekend works closely with Student Center Complex facilities, information, technical services, and events/reservations personnel. The Facilities Operations Representative – Night/Weekend enforces policies and procedures, oversees building safety, and assists with event support and provides support for the daily operations and facility maintenance of the Student Center Complex. The working schedule will typically include weekdays, weekends, evenings, and overnight shifts, with the majority of the work time to fall between 11p.m. and 7:30a.m. The exact working schedule will be coordinated with other Facilities Operations Representatives and periodically reviewed and adjusted to meet the needs of the facility.
The Student Center Complex is comprised of the following:
Whitten University Center, a 176,000 square foot facility that features meeting facilities, lounges, Student Affairs departmental offices, e-Center, student organization offices including WVUM student radio station, and campus information desk. The facility also houses a wide variety of tenants, including Follett Campus Store; Chartwells food services administrative offices; food court; convenience store; vending services; ATM machines; post office services; the Launch Pad; Camner Academic Resource Center; and the Office of Enrollment Management including the Office of Admission.
University Center Pool, a 666,000 gallon double Olympic sized pool, which is used by the University of Miami Athletic swimming and diving teams, students and staff for casual swimming and club sports, and by various private aquatic programs throughout the year.
Shalala Student Center, a 119,000 square foot facility that houses five meeting rooms, a 12,000 sq. ft. ballroom with servery, four lounges, student life departmental offices, student organization suites, workspaces and offices including Law School Student Bar Association, Graduate Student Association, and Undergraduate Student Government, three tenant retail food venues, 24-hour casual study space, and Student Publications suite. Services include an Information Center, as well as facility reservations, event and meeting planning offices, which provide coordination, set-up, and audio/visual equipment scheduling and rental.
Outdoor spaces which are a part of the Student Center Complex include the Rock free-speech zone, the Lakeside/Patio stage for performances, the “U” Statue and Foote Green, and the Breezeway where student and community tabling occurs.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Facilities Operations Responsible for maintaining a high standard of facility operations— producing a constant, consistent, tidy look for the entire Student Center Complex, including all indoor and outdoor spaces.
a. Supervise and manage student staff to perform operational tasks of the facility.
During shifts, ensures all events scheduled before 8:00 a.m. are properly set.
b. Monitors and patrols building and grounds to maintain Student Center Complex standards, ensuring correct furniture and equipment placements and cleanliness.
c. Enforces Student Center Complex and UM policies and procedures.
d. Discovers, reports, and, when appropriate, corrects custodial issues.
e. Reports security issues to UMPD and maintains record of security response
f. Works closely and regularly with Student Center Complex tenants to ensure facility is being maintained appropriately.
g. Assists in the management of the Work Order process via the University’s WebTMA system for Student Center Complex work orders.
h. Produces and provides daily status reports of tasks and issues. Will also assist in producing monthly and annual reports for work orders, student employment time and hours, usage statistics, and equipment inventory.
• Serves as the primary on duty professional for the Shalala Student Center between
Midnight and 6 a.m. working at the Information Desk to monitor all user access.
• Monitors and maintains Student Center Complex inventory, including tables, chairs, soft seating, desks, etc.
Events and Reservations
• Unlocks and re-secures rooms/areas and equipment pre- and post-event; meets user at event start. Communicates changes and updates to events/reservations on no-shows, room changes, and special user requests on an as-needed basis using written reports, written and verbal notifications to events/reservations personnel, and direct computer network data access.
• Provides excellent customer service, ensuring all needs are met and anticipating unscheduled needs for events.
• Works closely with Student Center Complex Technical Services on A/V set-up needs. Assists in programming of installation of security locks, printer toner cartridges, new mics and keyboards, or simple software installation/updating/verification as necessary. May also perform backups of certain systems.
• Assists operational areas (Budget, Information, Events/Reservations, Technical Services, and Facilities) and student staff in answering policy or operational questions. Assists in or runs Student Center Complex areas (Information, Technical Services, and Facilities) on an emergency or as-needed basis. May substitute for other Operations staff as necessary.
• Performs additional duties as delegated by the Associate Director of the Student Center Complex.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• One (1) to Four (4) years of progressive experience. Previous experience in a higher education setting is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Strong organizational skills.
• Must be customer service-oriented, adaptable, and show initiative.
• Must be able to work in a team environment with student employees and professional staff.
• Knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
• Must be able to learn software for reports and work orders.
• Must be able to operate equipment including printers, cash registers, and have knowledge (or ability to learn skills) of sound systems, projectors, and lighting.
Apply online at www.miami.edu/careers
Position #: P00017221
The University of Miami is home to some of the brightest minds in the world. We are committed to educating and nurturing students, creating knowledge, and providing service to our community and beyond. The University of Miami offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental benefits, tuition remission, vacation, paid holidays and much more. The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information-https://www.hr.miami.edu/careers/employment-laws-eo/index.html]]>