Engineering Advising & Outreach Specialist
Whatcom Community College invites applications for the Engineering Advising & Outreach Specialist position. The Engineering Advising & Outreach Specialist will recruit, support, and advise Whatcom Community College's (WCC) engineering transfer students. Reporting to the Director for Academic Advising & Career Services, this position will assist in the design, delivery, and evaluation of comprehensive student recruitment and retention services to students. The Engineering Advising and Outreach Specialist will provide a full range of culturally responsive academic advising, coaching, career assessment, college transition and instructor referral services that allow for ongoing contact with students. These efforts will provide needed academic, financial, and social support for students to successfully complete their educational program at WCC.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Assess current and potential engineering transfer students' academic and career goals, personal needs and barriers and recommend appropriate wrap-around support services.
- Provide on campus office hours for scheduled appointments and drop-in support.
- Assist students in navigating online and in-person resources and provide related support.
- Support and coordinate strengths-based, advising practices through student life and development activities such as new student orientation, academic and career advising, and peer mentorship activities. Refer students to on and off campus services and resources as appropriate.
Outreach & Events:
- Provide academic and career information sessions and assist in the recruitment of engineering transfer students on and off campus.
- Monitor student enrollment and support departmental practices to achieve enrollment goals.
- Collaborate with K-12 partnerships and support outreach efforts to area high schools. Coordinate field trips for current WCC students to visit engineering programs and employers.
- Promote and support career development and customized job search strategies, resume writing, and employment information referrals.
- Develop, implement, and adopt comprehensive career and advising practices for general population students.
- Work with engineering and related faculty as part of a comprehensive support for students.
- Develop productive working relationships across all levels of the campus community to develop and fully implement enhanced career and academic advising strategies.
- Plan and implement student navigation and success initiatives, prepare reports, and collect data specific to WCC's engineering transfer students.
- Assist in identifying performance gaps and developing plans for learning solutions.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs, operations, and activities, including evaluation of annual goals and objectives through the College's Service Improvement Plan process.,
- Represent the college at professional meetings and serve on committees as needed.,
- Collect and analyze data to ensure students are accurately coded and identified for engineering transfer.,
- Attend all advisor training meetings and presents information as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned or delegated by the Director for Academic Advising and Career Services.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- At least two (2) years of experience in education or other field.
- Demonstrated experience in advising in a community college or similar setting.
- Experience in higher education or job placement environment.
- Familiarity with engineering academic majors, professional job functions, and/or industry sectors.
- Demonstrated knowledge of methods and techniques of student instruction.
- Demonstrated experience working in a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of varying social, economic, cultural, ideological, gender/sexuality, and ethnic backgrounds and identities.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, complete complex word processing tasks such as correspondence, reports, and tracking spreadsheets which include merging and sorting, integrating text with graphics, spreadsheet and database files, uploading/downloading, and creating footnotes and outlines.
- Ability to use a personal computer, Microsoft Office products and database programs.
- Excellent verbal, listening, writing, problem-solving and interpersonal communication skills.
Salary and Appointment:
- This is a 12-month, full-time appointment, exempt from Washington State civil service law, with the salary of $45,000-48,000 annually, DOE.
- The position comes with a full benefit package, including health, dental, life, long term disability insurance and a retirement plan.
- As soon as can be arranged with successful candidate.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by July 27th, 2018 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.