App Sys Analyst/Prog -Intrmed-603831
The Pathogen and Microbiome Institute at Northern Arizona University and the Caporaso Bioinformatics Lab seek an ASA Programmer, Intermediate to be part of an open source bioinformatics software development team. The Caporaso Laboratory works primarily on developing and applying bioinformatics methods and software for studying human and environmental microbiomes based on "next-generation" sequencing data. This position will involve bioinformatics software development, testing, documentation and support, centered around the QIIME 2 (https://qiime2.org) open source software package. This position will also involve taking a leadership role in the design of software, and assisting with the management of a team of programmers (some of whom may work remotely). The person holding this position will be a primary software release manager. They will also assist with reporting on work done in the Lab to the public (via publications and social media), and to funding agencies in grant reports.
- Development, testing, and documentation of bioinformatics software as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
- User support via email, online forums, hands-on workshops, and in-person or virtual meetings to assist users of software developed in the Caporaso Lab. Occasional travel may be required to assist with teaching bioinformatics workshops, attend conferences or software development “sprints/hackathons”, or visit collaborators.
- Detailed iterative code review of software developed by others, prior to integration into software packages developed in the Caporaso Lab.
- Assistance with development of software design plans.
- Preparation and testing of software releases.
- Publish software releases.
- Assist with writing manuscripts for publication in the primary literature.
- Assist with preparation of grant reports.
- Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND four years systems and/or programming experience; OR,
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field AND three years systems and/or programming experience; OR,
- Three years of systems and/or programming experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.
- Proven history of contribution to open source software. Ideally this can be demonstrated through GitHub activity.
- Proven history of working with teams of software development. Ideally this can be demonstrated through GitHub activity.
- Proven history of software release management.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work with people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Experience developing and testing Python software.
- Experience using GitHub.
- Experience working with command line software in Linux and macOS environments.
This position has been identified as a safety/security sensitive position. Therefore, per AZ Revised Statute, Northern Arizona University requires satisfactory results for the following: a criminal background investigation, employment history investigation, degree verification (in some cases) and fingerprinting.
Additionally, as an employer in the state of Arizona, NAU is required to participate in the federal E-Verify program that assists employers with verifying new employees' right to work in the United States.
Finally, each year the Northern Arizona University Police Department releases an annual security report. The report is a result of the federal law known as the Clery Act and contains policy statements that address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security including policies for responding to emergency situations and sexual offenses. The report contains three years of data for Clery reportable crime statistics for the campus along with the most current year’s Fire Safety Report, which includes policy statements and fire statistics for Flagstaff on-campus student housing.
The report may be viewed at nau.edu/clery or by visiting the NAUPD website at: http://www.nau.edu/police. A printed copy of the report is available upon request by contacting the NAU Police Department, Records Department at (928)523-8884 or by visiting the department at Building 98A on the NAU Mountain Campus.
The budgeted salary amount is $56,500.
Commensurate with experience.
**The starting salary will be determined by the qualifications of the selected applicant balanced with departmental budget availability, internal salary equity considerations, and available market information.
This position is exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and therefore will not earn overtime or compensatory time for additional time worked.
This is a Service Professional (SPF) position. NAU offers an excellent benefit package including generous health, dental and vision insurance; participation in the Arizona State Retirement System or the Optional Retirement Program; 22 days of vacation and 10 holidays per year; and tuition reduction for employees and qualified dependents. More information on benefits at NAU is available at https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/Eligibility-Enrollment/
NAU is a tobacco and smoke-free campus.
Service Professionals are hired on a contract basis, renewable each 6 months according to terms of the Conditions of Professional Service, which may be found at: http://hr.nau.edu/sites/default/files/files/Conditions%20of%20Service%20Professional%20Dec%202012%20Rev.pdf/.
Employees offered a position will be eligible for state health plans (including NAU's BCBS Plan). New employees are eligible for benefits on the first day of the pay period following their enrollment, after their employment date. Employees will have 31 days from their start date to enroll in benefits. If a new employee chooses the ASRS retirement option, participation in the Arizona State Retirement System, and the long-term disability coverage that accompanies it, will begin on the first of the pay period following 6 months after the new employee's start date. New employees who choose to participate in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), which is an alternative to the ASRS plan for faculty and other appointed staff, will begin to participate on the first day of employment. Additionally, the long-term disability plan that accompanies the ORP will begin on the first day of employment. More information is available at: https://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Benefits/Eligibility-Enrollment/
Learning and Development
Your career at Northern Arizona University includes the opportunity for professional development. New employee on-boarding training includes courses to be completed within the first 30 days (http://nau.edu/Human-Resources/Employee-Resources/Training/Required/). If your position includes the supervision of a benefit-eligible employee, we offer the NAU Supervisors Academy for you to complete within your first 2 years. In addition to the development classes offered in-person, every NAU employee receives a free subscription to Lynda.com. From this site you can access more than 1,400 training videos on a broad range of subjects, including business skills, photography, music and video, home computing, and web design and development.
August 13, 2018 at 11:59 p.m.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on line at http://nau.edu/human-resources/ or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.