Executive Director, Innovation Incubator - Exempt
This is a full-time management (MPP) position. MPP employees serve at the pleasure of the campus President. MPPs do not serve a probationary period and never receive permanent status.
This position is a "designated position" in the California State University's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Special Working Conditions: The incumbent is required to maintain contact with their campus outside of their normal working hours on a regular basis. Remote contact shall include telephone, cell phone, wireless data access device, remote monitoring of any hardware or software device, and/or electronic mail notification regarding the status of a campus system.
Salary Range and Max Salary
The application deadline is: Monday, July 30, 2018.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Conditions of Employment
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Campus Marketing Statement
California State University, Dominguez Hills, was established in 1960 and is one of the 23 campuses that comprise The California State University system. CSU Dominguez Hills is an urban, comprehensive public university that serves a culturally rich, diverse student body of over 12,500 students at the undergraduate and graduate levels. Located on a 346-acre site in the South Bay portion of the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area, CSU Dominguez Hills has a highly pluralistic student body, which includes a significant number of non-traditional, working adult students as well as approximately 2,000 students enrolled in distance learning programs statewide. The University, with its five Academic Colleges, has more than 300 full-time faculty members and is situated in an area characterized by an extraordinary heterogeneity of people, and an extensive array of high technology industries and professional services.
Department Marketing Statement
Department: Innovation Incubator
The Division of Information Technology is responsible for providing leadership and support in information technology for the entire CSU Dominguez Hills community. The Division promotes IT solutions that improve the teaching, learning, research, and administrative environment of the University. The Vice President / CIO provides overall management of the Division of IT. The Division of Information Technology is comprised of eight operational units: Service & Financial Mgmt, User Services, Academic Technology, Infrastructure & Production Services, Information Security, Development & Digital Convergence, Innovation Incubator, and Operational Effectiveness, Planning, & Analytics.
Under the administrative direction of the Vice President of the Division of Information Technology / CIO, the Executive Director of the Innovation Incubator is responsible for planning, building, growing and managing a new innovation initiative at CSUDH -- the CSUDH Innovation Incubator. The incubator will become the University's showcase for entrepreneurship and innovation applied to a wide range of business sectors and growth stages. It is a campus-wide initiative whose mission is to help install an entrepreneurial culture at CSUDH. The Executive Director will be responsible for the creation of a multi-discipline early stage incubation program and the strategic leadership and vision necessary to grow it, including attracting financial and other resource stakeholders. The incumbent will collaboratively develop and implement the incubator's business plan, as approved by the University's leadership. The position will develop, grow, and manage the incubator's programs and personnel. The successful candidate will have a distinguished record of entrepreneurial and executive experience as well as nonprofit and/or government acumen. The position requires intellectual curiosity, creativity, strategic thinking, fundraising ability and significant leadership capability, including hands-on management experience. Qualifications
Required Education: Bachelors of Arts/Bachelors of Science or MAIMS in a relevant technology or business discipline.
Required Experience: 6-10 years of experience in a relevant field (start-ups, incubators, tech transfer offices, etc.). Real world experience in what it takes to build entrepreneurial organizations - either start-ups, in corporations, and/or in academic environments. Successful track record in growing and managing entrepreneurial organizations with a specific track record in fund raising for similar projects. Significant connections to or a demonstrated ability to build relationships with stakeholders and the local business community. Experience working with start-ups and/or as part of a start-up on business/strategic development and fund raising.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills applied to bridging organizations with different cultures and agendas.
- Knowledge of technology incubation programs.
- Ability to think analytically, interpret and apply guidelines, policies, procedures and rules using consistently sound judgment.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines in a very fast-moving organizational environment.
- Ability to develop new workflows and business processes, not just utilize existing ones.
- Ability to communicate and interact effectively with a diverse group of internal and external contacts, including academic professionals, corporate human resource and finance professionals, and technical/instructional experts.
- Superior oral and written skills in technology-mediated communication.
- Highly motivated self-starter who is able to take initiative and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully identify, manage/mentor and/or fund start-up businesses.
- The position requires intellectual curiosity, creativity, strategic thinking, fundraising ability and significant leadership capability, including hands-on management experience.
Certification: Valid drivers license Responsibilities 50% - Program Management:
- Manage the recruitment and incubation of the incubator portfolio companies.
- Facilitate incubator awareness and access to incubator resources and services across CSUDH colleges, undergraduate and graduate programs, and centers.
- Facilitate engagement of CSUDH faculty in incubator services and of incubator personnel in supporting academic entrepreneurship/innovation programs.
- Oversee and manage relationships and contracts with programmatic partners.
- Identify and track success metrics.
- Independently establish the unit as an institutional enterprise.
- Partner with CSUDH's Office of Research & Graduate Studies to engage incubator with promising new research by faculty and students.
- Communicate and work with external focused resources (e.g., Advisory Board, Alumni Relations, Advancement) to recruit advisors and engage the corporate community in incubator programs and other CSUDH innovation initiatives.
- Leverage relationships with start-up/accelerators and other companies to increase employment, internship, and other opportunities for students.
- Promote and implement incubator entrepreneurial training and services (non-credit workshops, seminars, certificate programs) for the CSUDH community and beyond.
- Engage the incubator as a resource for CSUDH student competitions and research showcases related to innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Ensure that all operations comply with CSU and CSUDH values, standards, and policies and with relevant local, state, and federal regulations.
- Establish an investor network to advise and support incubator portfolio companies, CSUDH affiliated start-ups/accelerators, and incubator programs and initiatives.
20% - Marketing, Communications, and Network:
- In collaboration with the Department of Development, identify, solicit, and steward individuals, corporations, and foundations to provide philanthropic support for the Innovation Incubator.
- Foster and manage open and transparent relationships and effective and frequent communication between the incubator and leadership and stakeholders at CSUDH.
- Communicate the incubator branded message internally, creating awareness of and broadening engagement with CSUDH colleges, programs, and centers.
- Develop new and strengthen existing innovation-focused relationships within the CSUDH community, the South Bay, and the Greater Los Angeles area.
15% - Strategy:
- Collaborate with various units on campus to promote innovation at CSUDH.
- Create and implement a multi-year strategic plan for incubator with defined programmatic goals and objectives.
10% - Budgeting & Reporting:- Identify and track success metrics and provide regular reports to the Vice President of the Division of Information Technology / CIO and other advisors and stakeholders.
* Prepare reports for CSUDH and funders as required.
5% - Other duties as assigned.
To Apply, please visit: https://www.csudh.edu/hr/job-opportunities/
California State University, Dominguez Hills, is an equal employment opportunity employer, and is strongly committed to achieving excellence through a diverse workforce. The University actively encourages applications of all qualified individuals.
California State University Dominguez Hills is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status. For more information or definition of these terms please visit, http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/Supplement_English.pdf
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may call the Human Resources Office at (310) 243-3771 or the Academic Affairs Personnel Services Office at (310) 243-3766.
Clery Act crime statistics for CSUDH are available at http://www.csudh.edu/dhpd/dhpd.htm, or by calling University Police at (310) 243-3639.
Upon appointment all candidates must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S.
The California State University is Smoke and Tobacco Free. Smoking, Vaping and other Tobacco use are Not Permitted anywhere on University property. Education Code 42356, CCR Title 5, Article 9