Assistant Director of Events
Assistant Director of Events
Job Number: 78970
Job Family: Event Planner
Job Code: 4883
Office of Undergraduate Admission
Assistant Director of Events
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Admission for Marketing, Events and Yield, the Office of Undergraduate Admission (UGA) seeks an Assistant Director of Events to plan, manage and execute the logistics of various yield and outreach events, including Admit Weekend (a Big 5 event).
- Initiate and lead meetings with stakeholders to plan scope and format of events, establish and monitor budgets, and/or review administrative procedures and event progress (including but not limited to Admit Weekend, Admit Days, Regional Information Sessions and Exploring College Options). For Admit Weekend, select and manage a team of eight (8) key student coordinators charged with working with university faculty, staff and students to coordinate the majority of Admit Weekend events, logistics and activities, including recruitment and training of house and room hosts, development of specific weekend events, and organization and management of all weekend administrative requirements (student registration, check-in, room assignments, etc.)
- Work with other Admission teams that help to support program planning and implementation (e.g., Outreach Volunteer Alumni Link team's Admit Receptions and Diversity Outreach and External Relations team's Stanford Counselor Outreach Program).
- Responsible for budget planning and management, venue, equipment and facilities management.
- Oversee development of registration strategy and logistics.
- Build and maintain relationships with internal and external partners.
- Procure and coordinate vendor services. Negotiate vendor contracts to minimize liability and risks.
- Research and provide recommendations for potential event locations, and evaluate alternatives.
- Investigate, document and report complaints regarding all aspects of events including customer service, crowd control and staff issues.
- May inspect event facilities for maintenance, janitorial and fire safety issues, ensuring enforcement of Environmental Health and Safety and other facility regulations. Arrange for correction if issues are found.
- Communicate with vendors for assigned events.
- Manage and oversee all technology needs to support events, including but not limited to Slate, social media platforms, website updates and AdmissionPros.
*Other duties may also be assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Required
Bachelor's degree (Master's highly desirable) and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrated success managing event teams and planning, developing budgets, and meeting budget goals.
- Excellent project management skills, and the ability to manage complex timelines and multiple projects.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management, and customer service skills. Must be well organized and detailed oriented.
- Exceptional customer service skills with the ability to cultivate partnerships.
- Demonstrated high level of confidence in making strategic decisions, good judgment, and innovative and creative problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, File Maker Pro and knowledge of cloud applications such as Google Docs and Forms; Slate, PeopleSoft and Oracle Financial systems skills highly desirable.
- Ability to interact and successfully collaborate with a broad spectrum of contributing groups and customers.
Certificates and Licenses Required
- Valid Non-Commercial Class California Driver's License.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit, perform desk-based computer tasks, and use a telephone.
- Occasionally kneel/crawl, twist/bend/stoop/squat, grasp lightly/fine manipulation, and grasp forcefully, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh 21-40 pounds.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class license and drive day or night.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May require working evenings and weekends.
- When conducting university business, must comply with the California Vehicle Code and Stanford University driving requirements.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.