Associate Vice President for Legal and Governmental Affairs
The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) is seeking an experienced attorney with a background in higher education and public policy for the new Associate Vice President for Legal and Governmental Affairs position. The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Legal and Governmental Affairs provides legal counsel to the organization and ensures consistency and integrity in decision-making based on HLC policy and historical precedents. He or she develops and improves policies and procedures affecting institutions’ accreditation status. The AVP engages in public policy discussions at a regional or national level as requested by the Vice President for Legal and Governmental Affairs or the President of HLC. The AVP provides direct legal assistance and support to HLC’s operational units, communicates with legal counsel representing institutional members and, in collaboration with the Vice President for Legal and Governmental Affairs, manages HLC’s external counsel. The AVP assists in identifying liaison needs for system-level facilitation for emerging accreditation issues in higher education and shares responsibility for providing that facilitation. The AVP has primary responsibility for HLC’s Eligibility Process and acts as a resource on HLC policy and procedure for the Institutional Actions Council. The AVP works with staff within the Legal and Governmental Affairs Department to further their work more generally in the area of state and federal relations, advocacy, complex evaluations (including sanctions, advisory visits and Change of Control transactions), federal compliance, recognition, special monitoring, general compliance and legal support.
- Law degree (J.D.) with a background in higher education and public policy. Bar admission to at least one jurisdiction required. Significant work experience in law practice a plus.
- Broad familiarity with higher education in the United States.
- Capacity to represent HLC with credibility.
- Capacity for holistic, complex judgments; analysis; problem-solving; and translation of policy into practice.
- Ability to manage the detail of multiple simultaneous activities, to share the setting of policy and practice with colleagues, and to work in a team framework for carrying out the various processes and programs of HLC.
- Maintains composure in rapidly evolving situations and exercises good judgment in a crisis.
- Willingness to travel as needed.
- Demonstrable communication skills, including excellent writing and research skills.
Review of applications will commence August 20, 2018. Applications may be sent by e-mail to AVP@hlcommission.org. Electronic submissions in one PDF file are preferred. No calls, please. Applications should include a letter of interest, resume, and three professional references. References will not be contacted until the final stage of the application process. A detailed position description can be found at hlcommission.org. The Higher Learning Commission is an equal opportunity employer.
Apply for Associate Vice President for Legal and Governmental Affairs
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly