Staff - Associate Dean of Library Services
Staff - Associate Dean of Library Services
Min Salary: $63,000.00
Temporary End Date (if applicable):
Close Date: 7/31/2018
General Statement of Job:
The Associate Dean of Library Services serves as a member of the Library and Learning Support Services leadership team and is responsible for the leadership and coordination of South Texas College Library Services, which includes Circulation Services (Circulation and Reserves), Reference Services, Library Outreach and Instruction Services, and Library Technical Services at all South Texas College campus libraries. The Associate Dean works with the Library and Learning Support Services leadership team to ensure the provision of excellent and efficient patron services and to promote a positive environment which motivates and empowers colleagues, staff, and students. Supervises designated Library Public Services staff.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with the Dean and other Directors to provide progressive, team-oriented development.
- Provides an environment that fosters personal and professional employee development.
- Promotes the delivery of quality information services in a positive, patron-focused and learning-centered environment.
- Collaborates with the Dean and other Directors to provide integrated student learning support services.
- Provides leadership and support for all aspects of Library Services, including circulation, reserves, reference services, outreach services, technical services, and information literacy instruction for all South Texas College campuses and teaching sites.
- Collaborates with the Dean and other leaders to develop and implement strategic and institutional effectiveness plans for the Library Services department aligned to promote student learning and success.
- Creates and manages staffing plans to ensure appropriate staff support at each library location in conjunction with the Dean,
- In conjunction with the Dean, develops and administers annual budgets for Library Services acquisitions, cataloging, public services, library art gallery, and systems automation.
- Directly supervises, trains, coaches, and mentors librarians and other staff at all South Texas College campuses and teaching sites.
- Assesses professional development needs and provides professional development and training opportunities for staff to meet job demands and ensures that Library Services full-time and part-time employees are trained appropriately.
- Collects and analyzes feedback from stakeholders, including working with faculty and library staff to evaluate existing library resources and developing and executing plans for enhancing them to ensure service quality.
- Ensures the provision of outstanding, patron-oriented online and traditional services to support Distance Education and Dual Enrollment students and faculty.
- Facilitates the promotion of the library through library events and programming at each campus.
- Ensures that the library collection is appropriate to support the College’s curricular offerings.
- Oversees library services’ relationships with Accounts Payable, Purchasing and other departments in respect to orders, receipts, payments, and fund accounting.
- Oversees the negotiation and management of contracts and licenses for digital information products.
- Coordinates with the Purchasing department on competitive bid requests for library information materials and services.
- Collaborates with the Dean to set policies and procedures for circulation, reserves, librarian instruction, outreach, collection development, acquisitions, cataloguing, and other library functions.
- Ensures that documentation of procedures and procedures manuals are current and up-to-date.
- Ensures that library automated systems function appropriately.
- Participates in a variety of departmental, campus, regional and statewide committees and represents library services’ issues, ideas, and concerns, as appropriate.
- Maintains current knowledge of developments in library science and other related fields
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- American Library Association (ALA) accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science and/or Information Science required.
- At least seven (7) years of library experience with progressively increasing levels of responsibility in management and administration required.
- Recent academic library experience, preferred.
Checks, Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
- All applicants are subject to a national criminal background check under South Texas College policy.
- Security Sensitive position: In addition, subject to federal background check.
- Must have a valid Texas driver’s license and proof of liability insurance.
Equal Employment Opportunity
South Texas College is an equal education and equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. As an equal education institution and equal opportunity employer, the College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, disability, genetic information, or veteran status. Discrimination is prohibited and the College will comply with all applicable College policies, and state and federal legislation. This policy extends to individuals seeking employment with and admission to the College.
Title IX Statement
Title IX of the Education Amendments 1972 (20 U.S.C. s1681 et seq.) and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106 (Title IX), “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”
For additional information and to apply, visit https://stcjobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/10636