DIRECTOR, STRATEGIC EVENT DEVELOPMENT & PRODUCTION
Duties: The Director, Strategic Event Development and Production is responsible for developing specific projects and event strategies supporting current and future Development and Alumni Relations goals. This will include but not be limited to developing strategies and program content for events showcasing university-level priorities, including presidential campaign events, academic events with a campaign focus, on and off-campus campaign kick-off, campaign exposition and conclusion events, legacy tour events and incoming presidential welcome events. Reporting to the Executive Director for Programs and Special Events, the Director will help define, create and execute key event programming to communicate pertinent messages, goals, and achievements to all relevant audiences, including University leaders, alumni, parents, volunteers, faculty, students, and staff.
* Define the strategy, concept and plan for specific projects that will support the events outlined above by working closely with the Executive Director and the Senior Management team. Will generate and present creative concepts informed by approved messaging for senior management review.
* Develop and produce select special projects within the approved budget and in accordance with well-established timelines by working with DAR staff, other Penn staff and contracted production vendors.
* Strategize integration of prepared remarks and program content into produced events by working closely with the Executive Director, presidential script-writers from both the president's office and the Development and Alumni Relations Marketing team, and faculty or other presenter content and remark providers. Will include direct interaction with the highest level of administration, faculty, campaign, alumni, and volunteer leadership.
* Maximize the synergies of campaign messaging with select schools and centers as they develop and produce school-specific events by working collaboratively with the Campaign Office team. Integrate DAR-generated strategic communications tools to include various marketing pieces that will be made available for tailored messaging from the individual schools and centers.
* Support department as required for execution of major events that require all staff to participate in support roles to include but not be limited to Alumni Weekend and Homecoming. Perform additional duties as assigned.
Qualifications: A Bachelor's Degree and 7 years to 10 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Master's degree preferred
* Minimum of 10 years development communication and event production experience, with special focus on strategic messaging and communications production in support of fundraising initiatives. Experience in higher education essential.
* Superior writing and editing skills with demonstrated strength in and understanding of live event scriptwriting and event production execution.
* Broad knowledge of current communications tools and techniques, including the latest in electronic communications and technologies and the capacity to use them.
* Demonstrated ability to establish and meet deadlines, and to anticipate and respond effectively to undefined needs and unexpected challenges.
Reference Number: 90-29345
Salary Grade: 029
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: AVP Development Services and Campaign Initiatives
Job Family: B-Executive/Managerial Administration