Electronic Security Engineer
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Electronic Security Engineer
Position #2848 - Requisition #14136
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Jobs in this career family manage the physical infrastructure of the University. Functions include planning, architectural design, capital project commissioning, building code compliance, engineering disciplines (electrical, mechanical, civil, etc.), architectural drafting, landscape design, energy conservation and construction project management.
Senior Professionals are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field. Work is performed fully independently.
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for an Electronic Security Engineer. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position will provide design, analysis, installation, maintenance, repair, and security operations services for all University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus buildings on a twenty-four hour basis. Security services include working with end-users and customers regarding their security needs, devising and implementing plans, instructing in use of equipment, and evaluating human interaction with equipment to ascertain system faults. The Electronic Security Engineer must interact with other contractors and vendors on job sites, resolving scope conflicts, installation issues, component performance and the on-site adjustment to instructions to ensure timely delivery of functioning systems. Because of unique skill-sets, and the need to make on-site decisions and requisite interaction with others, the department considers the Electronic Security Engineer position a staff authority. Position is responsible for providing physical security support for all campus structures, parking areas, and exterior assembly areas in a manner that promotes the University of Colorado mission of health care, education, and research
Examples of Work Performed:
- The Electronic Security Engineer will be proficient in the operation, theory, application, installation, and service of analog and digital video cameras, display options, Network Video Recorders (NVR), the camera support equipment, fiber optic and CAT6 cabling; and the requisite programming and interpretation of all associated software applications.
Electronic Access Control:
- The Electronic Security Engineer will be proficient in the installation, operation, servicing, repair and analysis of all electronic security equipment, including card readers, locking hardware, wiring, controllers, and associated devices. This skill-set must include the ability to prepare wood, metal and composite material door frames for acceptance of security components; the use of conduit and similar cable routing materials and their applicable codes; and the intricacies of installing cameras in exterior settings, where lightning transmission must be mitigated.
- Must understand electronic and electrical principles; be familiar with low-voltage circuitry, wiring, electrical codes, and all appropriate safety protocols.
- Conducts daily inspections, troubleshoot errors and performance issues, and perform preventative maintenance to all systems maintained.
- Assesses performance and reliability of existing systems to verify compliance with requirements and detect potential deterioration.
- Researches and becomes familiar with emerging technologies or practices that may provide benefits or alternatives to existing models, systems, or strategies employed by Security on campus.
- Conducts security program audits through software review, on-site observations, etc. and develops solutions to lessen identified risks for recommendation to Security management.
- The Electronic Security Engineer will be proficient in all aspects of programming the security systems software, the video surveillance software, all supporting software, and all Microsoft Suite applications used by the Police Department.
- Develops reporting queries to research and troubleshoot component performance issues.
- Interacts daily with the Office of Information Technology (OIT) staff regarding network status, OIT installations, and network issues throughout the system.
- Resolves errors in installed hardware, software programming or system behavior.
New Building Construction:
- Follows all OSHA and general contractor safety orientations, rules and directions while on the construction site. Must use all appropriate personal safety equipment at all times while on site.
- When routing or design conflicts arise, the Electronic Security Engineer must re-engineer the security design and make adjustments in concert with other contractors on site.
- The quality of work, timing of work and interactions with other sub-contractors must be professional, considerate, respectful and cooperative. The Electronic Security Engineers must consider all construction deadlines and delivery schedules as they perform security installation work.
- While on the construction site, the Electronic Security Engineer is the supervisor of the security installation process and may instruct other sub-contractors; assist the general contractor with security specification interpretations, and ensure that steps that security depends upon is accomplished by others to meet objectives.
- Modifies design, wiring schemas, engineering, etc. on the fly to meet security objectives and construction requirements.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $61,000. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. No relocation expenses will be paid. This position may be filled at the entry through full-operating level, depending on the successful candidate's education, experience, and suitability.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
A bachelor's degree in electronic/electrical engineering, information technology, organizational security, security management, or a directly related field from an accredited institution and 2 years of professional level closely related electronic security experience.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be willing and able to work on ladders, lifts, with fine wire and in normal construction environments.
- Must be willing and able to work in a confined workspace.
- Must be willing and able to provide off-hour phone contact information to be accessible during non-work hours in case of emergencies or to cover unscheduled staffing shortages.
- Must not be color blind.
- Must be willing and able to pass a Police Department Background Check which will include: Personnel History Questionnaire, Integrity Interview, Polygraph, Finger Print Check, Drug Screen, Credit/Civil Check, Criminal History and Driving Infractions Check, and Reference Checks.
- A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional or electronic engineering experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Registration as a Professional Engineer from, or acceptable to, the State of Colorado where the specialty is in electronic engineering or closely related field may also substitute for the degree.
- Software House "Installer/Maintainer" certification for CCURE 9000 software and hardware, or the ability obtain such certification within the first year of employment
- Physical Security Professional (PSP) certification
- Experience as a locksmith, electrician, or IT communications professional
- Experience with video surveillance, electronic security access control hardware/software, and/or physical building security functions
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Access Control concepts and design elements knowledge
- Complex problem solving and trouble-shooting regarding low-voltage security componentry and analog/digital camera systems.
- Ability to extemporaneously evaluate a problem and as a Staff Authority, compose a solution for others acceptance and adoption
- Microsoft Windows OS, Microsoft Office Suite and Project Management software
- Working knowledge of construction drawings, CAD generated products, manufacturer cut sheets, and multi-dimensional depictions of proposed construction design
- Working knowledge of intrusion alarm concepts, elements, sensor varieties, sensor technologies and interface requirements.
- Working knowledge of construction processes, policies and procedures to the end that the engineer can work safely and comfortably in a new building construction site.
- Working knowledge of wiring circuits (parallel and series), relay operations, and varieties.
- Working knowledge of hand and power tools, their proper and safe use, applicability to specific tasks, and their care and maintenance.
- Working understanding of AIPhone, Altronix, various camera manufacturer products, door and locking hardware.
- Working knowledge of analog and digital camera design
- Have a working knowledge of lock construction, design, purpose and options.
- Ability to cut and modify doorframes to accommodate door strikes, DSM, hinge and other security components connected to the door system.
- Ability to independently install magnetic locks, electrified lever sets, mortised locks and all locking systems used on campus
- Ability to teach end-users about products installed
- Ability to interface any door control system to handicapped door trigger, automatic door openers, overhead roll-up doors, vehicle gates, etc.
- Ability to service and maintain support equipment such as electric carts and other support equipment used in the division
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to listen, ability to work with customers, co-workers, contractors and others well and in a supportive manner.
- Ability to "think on one's feet" to identify and resolve a problem with a security system.
- Ability to assess one's own and others' work quality and performance when appropriate
- Ability to perform new installations, preventive maintenance, and service without supervision or direction
- Ability to assess a components performance to ascertain what repairs or service the engineer will need to perform those steps in the field.
- Ability to maintain excellent follow-through with tasks, customer relations, expectations of the division, etc
- Ability to work with a group, a team, or mixed-skill sets to accomplish a goal.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare written reports, white-papers, and oral reports regarding work performed, problems solved, or issues identified.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the installation, servicing, and programming of locks, controllers, security components, cameras, electrical interfaces, connections, and devices common in the physical security industry.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use and care of hand and power tools common in the security industry
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to [email protected]
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by July 26, 2018. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Engineering and Architecture/Physical Science and Engineering
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60039 - ADM-VCAF University Police
Posting Date: Jul 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Carlos Miron
Posting Contact Email: [email protected]
Position Number: 00002848