Learning Specialist - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (99615)
~~NOTICE OF POSITION VACANCY
University of Illinois
Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
Position: Learning Specialist, All Student-Athletes, 12 month, 100% Academic Professional Appointment
Primary Position Function/Summary:
Responsible for design and implementation of specific, individualized academic development plans for assigned student athletes.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Develop, design and implement specific, individualized plans for the development of academic skills, which include, but are not limited to, reading and writing competencies, time management and enhanced study habits.
2. Identify, develop and share learning techniques such as note taking and test preparation
3. Responsible for the assessment and coordination of all aspects of academic services for student-athletes with learning disabilities; work on the needs specifically designed for the learning of assigned student-athletes
4. Collaborate with other Academic Services staff in the development and delivery of learning strategy programming individually tailored to each student-athlete
5. Implement an individualized program to meet the desired academic and personal development goals, teaching compensatory techniques to help student-athletes understand their learning strength and weaknesses to foster learning
6. Collaborate with staff of assigned programs, along with other staff in Academic Services in coordinating campus visits with prospective student-athletes in areas related to academics.
7. Supervise graduate tutors assigned to specific caseload, including scheduling, assigning and reviewing work, and serving as intermediary between student-athlete and graduate tutor
8. Participate in the summer and fall orientation programs for student athletes in assigned sport programs
9. Work compatibly and cooperatively with all personnel within the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics and on the University of Illinois campus
10. Evening and weekend hours may be required.
11. Maintain knowledge of and compliance with specific NCAA, Big Ten Conference, and institution rules that relate to this position is required.
Master's degree in education or closely related field required.
Strong written and oral communication skills required
Demonstrated ability to design and execute individualized learning plans for students who need to develop academic skills in areas such as reading, research, writing and revision, note-taking, test-taking and preparation, study habits, time management
Demonstrated teaching expertise, especially utilizing learning accommodations for students with disabilities and/or deficiencies
Experience working with college student programming and/or learning resource centers is preferred. Experience with football, men's or women's basketball.
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications
Starting Date: As soon as possible after closing date
In order to receive full consideration, a letter of application, resume, and names of three references must be received by July 26, 2018. Applications not submitted through http://jobs.illinois.edu will not be considered. Candidate must upload a letter of application and resume. Online application will require the names and contact information for three references. For further information regarding application procedures, contact: Annie White, email@example.com
Interviews may take place before closing date but no selection will be made until after the closing date.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Division of Intercollegiate Athletics
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Learning Specialist - Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (99615)
Open Date: 07/12/2018
Close Date: 07/26/2018
Organization Name: Intercollegiate Athletics