Professional Research Asst
UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO DENVER
Department of Emergency Medicine
Position Number: 00708650
The University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Nature of WORK:
The Department of Emergency Medicine has an opening for a self motivated, hard working, Professional Research Assistant. This position will work with an individual investigator in the Department of Emergency Medicine at the University of Colorado Denver. The job location will include the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus as well as affiliated institutions in Colorado and other states.
The principal investigator (Dr. Marian Betz, MD, MPH) conducts research related to injury prevention interventions for busy clinical settings like emergency departments. Current areas of work include suicide prevention (with a focus on discussions about access to firearms, medications and other lethal methods) and older driver safety (with a focus on provider-patient discussions about driving safety). Additional areas of work include engagement with community members (through the Colorado Firearm Safety Coalition) and national organizations, as well as collaboration with public health and other multi-disciplinary investigators.
This will be a collaborative position with opportunity to shape research questions and methods. New graduates from research-related disciplines and behavioral health disciplines are encouraged to apply.
The main duties and responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Maintaining a detailed understanding of many evolving, complex studies conducted under the principal investigator (PI)
- Monitoring and coordinating clinical and community-based research projects related to injury prevention (including suicide prevention, firearm safety, and geriatric injury)
- Coordinating and supervising research assistants and students working on the PI's projects
- Serving as liaison between collaborators and the PI conducting the studies, including coordinating regular meetings
- Developing, revising and updating research documents, including protocols, data collection instruments, and progress reports
- Developing and tracking study budgets (with coordination with appropriate Grants & Contracts managers)
- Assisting with research and analysis, including coordinating logistics, implementing protocols for data collection and conducting qualitative and quantitative analysis.
- Conducting literature searches/reviews
- Assisting with preparation of manuscripts, presentations and posters for scientific meetings, with opportunities to present
- Assisting with grant preparation and submission
- Ensuring research projects fully comply with requirements of institutional ethical review and institutional or federal guidelines
Health sciences, clinical research, behavioral health, public health
Under the direction of the Director of Finance and Administration and guidance from
the Principal Investigator (PI), the research program manager will be assigned research duties and will report to the PI for each specific task.
The position may be responsible for supervising professional research assistants (PRAs) and students (undergraduate and graduate) working with the PI. The supervision will require assignment of tasks and monitoring progress, timeliness and quality of task completion, along with reporting to the PI.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Independent judgement and self-directed work capabilities
- Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, PRAs, trainees and administrators on a regular basis
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple and competing deadlines
- Experience working in a collaborative, team environment
- Proficient knowledge of computer-based tools (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Database management
Knowledge and experience with institutional review board applications
- Scientific writing experience, such as peer-reviewed manuscripts, abstracts, or reports
Master's degree or PhD
Public health or behavioral health background
Clinical trial experience
Qualitative research experience
Experience with developing and maintaining standard operating procedure documents
Prior experience in a higher education setting
1+ years' experience with project management
Ability to develop and track study budgets
Ability to work some holidays and weekends
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 14138
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20353 - SOM-Emergency Medicine
Posting Date: Jul 12, 2018
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Marian Betz
Posting Contact Email: MARIAN.BETZ@UCDENVER.EDU
Position Number: 00708650