Network Engineer II
Network Engineer II
Network Engineer II
IT Shared Services - 925000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
IT Shared Services (ITSS) is part of the Finance Division of The University of North Texas System. The mission of ITSS is simple: to be the best at delivering customer-aligned IT solutions and services. Our services are provided to all member institutions using an IT shared services governance model.
IT Shared Services provides the primary technology used by all campuses to support their operations. These include: shared resources of data centers, computing hardware, software applications, network and voice communications, collaboration and productivity capabilities, central web services, risk management, and security and compliance services. As a department, we strive to provide the most professional personnel possible to serve our campus constituents.
The University of North Texas is a state employer offering great benefits, including medical, dental, life, retirement, ample paid time off, and great work/life balance.
The IT Shared Services Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Network Engineer II to join our team. This position performs complex (senior-level) work. Work involves coordinating activities associated with all networks; coordinating network architectural design and installation, training, monitoring, and analysis of existing hardware and software; and evaluating potential network enhancements. May supervise the work of others. Works under limited supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Work with various platforms and OS types to support network connectivity over common network technologies such LAN, WAN, VPN, Internet, intranets, xtranets, telephony, VoIP, and other networks.
* Hands on installation and support of network hardware such as servers, switches, access points, routers, firewalls, load balancers, controllers and spectrum analyzers.
* Hands on configuration, operation and ongoing maintenance of network hardware and support of network protocols STP, PVST, RTSP, MST, VLANs, Aggregated Ethernet, 802.1q tagging, IGMP, DHCP snooping RIP2, OSPF, BGP and working knowledge of multicast and QoS.
* Working knowledge of IP addressing, TCP/IP and IPv4 (CIDR, VLSM) and IPv6 addressing and associated network protocols (TCP, UDP, ICMP) and testing tools such as Ping, Trace route, Net stat, Host, Dig, Nslookup and experience with UNIX operating systems for diagnostic tools.
* Working knowledge of various network infrastructure troubleshooting techniques and hands on operation of common network monitoring resources such as Nagios, Cacti/MRTG/PRTG and diagnostic tools such as sniffers and wire shark.
* Ability to integrate various technologies such as Active Directory, LDAP and Radius for access control and detailed understanding of various methods of encryption and security implications.
* Manage inventory of network hardware including but not limited to configuration backups, and maintenance.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelors degree in related field and four years data communications and/or networking experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Extensive knowledge of principles of computing and communications networks.
* Knowledge of PC architecture and operating systems.
* Strong oral and written communications skills.
* Management and supervisory skills and abilities.
* Ability to conceptualize, plan and organize multiple programs and assignments effectively.
* Ability to operate a computer keyboard and to install communications hardware.
* Ability to assimilate, retain, and utilize technical information.
* Ability to analyze varied courses of action and participate in strategic planning.
* Ability to work with considerable independence and initiative.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Ability to function responsibly during emergency problem solving situations.
* Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting