Senior Athletic Operations Associate, Events & Facilities
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation, an NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, actively engages our students, our campus community, our alumni and our fans through the spirit of healthy living and competition. Located in the heart of our nation's capital, this world-class university aspires to have a world-class athletics and recreation program. We are committed to building and sustaining a program that mirrors the overall excellence of the university, by providing students an unparalleled opportunity for achievement and engaging the larger community as we grow and cultivate the next generation of leaders.
Reporting to the Assistant Athletics Director of Operations, Events, and Facilities, the Senior Athletic Operations Associate will lead support of Events & Facilities for the Charles E. Smith Center by performing the following:
- Serves as the main point of contact for various University Constituents, including the Office of General Counsel (OGC), Office of Risk Management and Insurance, and the Division of Operation's Facilities and Campus Development, as well as external partners such as concessions/catering and other vendors. Partners with OGC to prepare contracts/agreements revenue generating events for both the Smith Center and Mount Vernon Fields. Is an authorized signatory for facilities availability all Game Day contracts.
- Manages intercollegiate and external events by acting as the on-site athletics representative to troubleshoot any issues, oversee student staff, manage vendors/services, provide crowd control as well as customer service to external constituents. Directs game day and building staff in the management of event activities and daily operations. Serves as the main point of contact to all coaches and staff for game day and building operations.
- Administers the overall daily scheduling and space utilization plans for all athletic facilities on both Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses, as well as University usage of Barcroft Park in Arlington County. Oversees the building schedule, van schedules, and student managers who run the building. Is the first point of escalation for handling emergencies and addressing emergency requests.
- Partners with the Athletics Department Business Office to ensure timely processing of facility rental and department purchase invoices. Assists the head of Operations, Events, and Facilities with budgeting and planning, particularly for the A10 Championship/Tournament as well as for other budgets as necessary.
- Assists with planning and leads execution of large scale university events such as Alumni Weekend, Homecoming, and University Commencement.
- Supports the payroll and scheduling function for temporary employees, including the hiring and paying student and wage staff according to university guidelines.
- Assists with the oversight and administration of the Mount Vernon Pool Membership & Operations.
- Supports department leadership with the development and maintenance of policies and procedures relating to Operations, Events, and Facilities as necessary.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC but will require significant domestic travel for games and events. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in athletic facilities, events, and/or operations.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Athletics and Recreation Family Athletics Sub-Family Athletics Administration Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40+ Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM with some nights and weekends. Schedule subject to change during busy seasons. Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa status.
- In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter