Senior Research Scientist
Job Description Summary:
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
The Program on Extremism at George Washington University provides analysis on issues related to violent and non-violent extremism. It spearheads innovative and thoughtful academic inquiry and brings together a unique team of experts from various continents and a wide range of disciplines, including government officials with experience in public safety and law enforcement; scholars; former extremists; and counter extremism practitioners providing first hand assistance to families grappling with radicalization. The Program on Extremism (POE) conducts research on extremism and terrorism, and develops pragmatic policy solutions that resonate with and is in high demand with policymakers, media and the public at large.
The Program on Extremism at George Washington University is seeking to expand its focus by hiring a Senior Research Scientist with expertise on violent and nonviolent Islamist movements in the Middle East. This position has direct management oversight over a team of professionals. The Senior Research Scientist will:
• Using a broad familiarity with a variety of concepts, practices and procedures conducts and supervises the conduct of research in Arabic on open sources from the Middle East. Interviews and oversees the interviewing of contacts in the region.
• Develops critical strategic/operational goals and implements new processes to achieve strategic goals. Manages both short and long-term research projects.
• Uses quantitative and qualitative methods to collect, analyze and report data on extremism, terrorism and radicalization.
• Creates and publishes articles and reports on research topics. Presents findings to international and national conferences, policymakers and practitioners.
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a master’s degree/PhD and at least 8 years of experience in a related discipline, to include two years of research and/or college level teaching in a field basic to the work to be performed. Experience must include planning, conducting and reporting as primary responsibilities. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Fluent at a native or near native level in both English and Arabic.
- Experience in the Middle East region.
- Established track record of publications on terrorism, counter-terrorism and counter radicalization.
- Demonstrated high degree of knowledge of terrorism, counter-terrorism and counter-radicalization
- Experience working with media and policymakers.
- Experience in working as part of a research team.
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Office Vice President of Research (OVPR) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Field Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 5 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Yes Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000599 Job Open Date: 07/10/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter