Post-Doctoral Scientist, Cancer Engineering
I. DEPARTMENT INFORMATION
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University invites applications from scientists interested in contributing to its vibrant research program at the George Washington Cancer Center (GWCC). The GWCC (http://smhs.gwu.edu/cancercenter/) brings together the resources of the George Washington University, the GW Medical Faculty Associates, and the GW University Hospital to expand current research efforts in the fight against cancer and to position our institution as the premier cancer care provider in the Washington, D.C. area.
The GWCC is seeking a candidate to fulfill the role of Post-Doctoral Scientist within the Fernandes research group at the GWCC. The Fernandes group (https://fernandeslab.weebly.com/) is part of the GWCC and works in the field of cancer engineering, wherein the focus of projects undertaken is to devise innovative solutions to fight cancer using nanotechnology/nanomedicine. These include, but are not limited to, the synthesis, biofunctionalization, and characterization of nanotechnology-based platforms to target, image, and/or treat cancer and testing these platforms both in vitro and in appropriate animal models. The long-term goal is to translate the findings of these projects into novel diagnostic or treatment modalities for cancer. A suitable candidate would therefore have work experience in both cancer biology and engineering.
This position reports directly to the Principal Investigator (PI) and will receive mentorship from the PI. While the Post-Doctoral Scientist is not responsible for the formal supervision of staff within the team, they may lead project teams or provide coaching and delegation of work to other employees within the team.
• Designing and conducting experiments in a controlled laboratory setting.
• Performing experiments, collecting, analyzing and reporting data.
• Assisting in the development of new ideas that promote current research
• Preparing and publishing scientific manuscripts
• Assisting the PI with grant writing
• Working with and providing functional supervision to students and other lab staff
• Operating lab equipment and training other lab staff as needed
• Assisting in completing general upkeep of the laboratory that complies with institutional GLP, Biosafety guidelines and maintaining inspection records
• Assisting the PI in maintaining up to date IACUC, IRB, Biosafety protocols, if needed
• Protecting intellectual property generated by timely filing of invention disclosures together with the PI in accordance with institutional policies for patent/IP filings
• Performing other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the PI from assigning duties that are logically related to the position
Qualified candidates will hold a PhD in a related discipline. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the positionAdditional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
-Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Cancer Biology, Immunology, or a related field preferred.
-Evidence of work experience in both the fields of cancer biology and biomedical engineering (e.g. at least one peer-reviewed journal publication in both fields).
I. POSITION INFORMATION
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Research and Labs Sub-Family Laboratory Research Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 5:30 Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: Required Background Check Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: R000601 Job Open Date: 07/12/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names and Contact Information for References
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- List of Publications