Financial Analyst, ESIA
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University's Elliott School of International Affairs is one of the world's leading schools of international affairs and one of the largest schools of international affairs in the United States. Located in the heart of Washington, D.C., its mission is to educate the next generation of international leaders, conduct research that advances understanding of important global issues, and engage the policy community in the United States and around the world.
The Elliott School's Office of Finance and Administration seeks a Financial Analyst to work with the Director to develop and manage the Elliott School's $100 million annual budget. The Analyst provides financial management and guidance in budgetary operations and implements financial policies and procedures and internal controls to ensure full compliance. The Financial Analyst will provide effective communications regarding quarterly forecasts and budgets, both verbal and written that are professional, support collegiality, and are representative of F&A leadership. The Financial Analyst reports to the Director of Finance and Administration. This position will regularly engage with Elliott School staff and faculty, as well as university staff. The Elliott School will be examining new revenue streams in the coming years; this position may be required to conduct "cost of services" studies for all programs. This position will also need to manage special projects assigned by the Director.
• Analyzes annual budgets for all fund types incorporating historical data, current activities and anticipated activities to forecast budgets for fiscal year. Develops plans based on forecasts which will meet the objectives of the Dean and then allocates budget accordingly.
• Maintains financial reporting system using accounting and spreadsheet software.
• Prepares weekly, monthly and quarterly financial reports that are used to monitor/track spending and project ending fund balances and capital expenditures.
• Prepares a variety of financial reports for use by directors and other staff in making financial decisions. Develops specialized expenditure reports as needed.
• Coordinates and processes invoices, honoraria and journal entries. Ensures payment requests are received and processed by Supplier Maintenance and Accounts Payable, following up with university departments when necessary. Records expenditures in budget spreadsheets, ensuring they are allocated to the correct program or department.
• Monitors daily financial operations within the school. Participate in quarterly budget meetings with Director of Finance and Administration and department directors. Reviews p-card statements and reimbursement requests to ensure compliance with approved budget to include identifying and gathering data on unusual developments or problems and presenting recommendations for corrective action.
• Provides support to management during year-end closing, including but not limited to processing transfers and answering any questions that GW's Budget Office/Controllership might have regarding revenue, expenditures, fund movement, etc.
• Maintains expertise through attendance at professional conferences, taking relevant and appropriate training courses as approved, and reviewing necessary literature including University documents.
• Assists with the training ESIA staff and faculty including reference materials and remote sessions
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 2 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• A Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field is desired.
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Professional experience related to analyzing and maintaining fiscal data to include preparation of financial reports is preferred.
• Ability to utilize Excel, Oracle and Banner is preferred.
• Ability to understand and interpret University policies and procedures in the areas of finance, payroll, procurement, and sponsored programs is highly desired.
• Effective communications skills, both verbal, and written that are both professional and collegial.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom, Washington, D.C. College/School/Department: Elliott School of International Affairs (ESIA) Family Finance and Business Sub-Family Division/School Financial Management Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 8:30 am to 5:30 pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Employer will not sponsor for employment Visa statusInternal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S007425 Job Open Date: 07/12/2018 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter