University Spirit, Pride, Tradition Coordinator/Head Coach (Student Activities Program Coordinator
Job Title: University Spirit, Pride, Tradition Coordinator/Head Coach (Student Activities Program Coordinator 2) (UCP 5)
Job ID: 2018682
Location: Storrs Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Under the direction of designated administrator, advises and provides support, as well as training and development to the students involved in the University's Spirit, Pride and Tradition programs, including, but not limited to the University Cheerleaders, Dance Team, Mascot, and Jonathan.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinates all programs in assigned area of responsibility, which may from time to time include major undertakings which require extensive planning, negotiation, problem solving and follow-through.
- Selects, advises, assists, and trains student leaders in their roles as University representatives and participants in these programs.
- Assists in the establishment, monitoring, and enforcement of program eligibility criteria. Is responsible for thorough knowledge of applicable policies, regulations and laws; monitors compliance with and provides guidance regarding such policies, regulations and laws.
- Develops and oversees the implementation of recruitment, recognition, retention, and alumni programs and initiatives.
- Maintains regular contact with students to resolve problems and develop responsible decision-making. Assess student interests, respond to student needs, anticipate student programming / leadership issues.
- Identifies goals and resources necessary to promote the effectiveness of the groups.
- Coordinates and assists with the logistical planning of all program activities.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of budgets. Initiates and oversees the requisition of equipment and supplies for related programs.
- Acts as a liaison with other University and external groups, including the Department of Athletics, University Alumni Association, Music Department, and student groups.
- May supervise student staff and an assistant.
- May be responsible for one or more services or programs which serve the department as a whole.
- Participates in overall department activities, such as evaluation and development of overall programs and policies, outreach programs or promotional activities and special events; recommends improvements or changes to increase effectiveness or meet changing needs.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Bachelor's Degree in appropriate field and three to five years professional experience in a responsible position related to coaching/instructing cheerleading, dance team and/or spirit programs at the collegiate level, or similar work which demonstrates knowledge of coaching and program management for the assigned student group(s) Excellent leadership, organizational, creative, and programming skills
- Excellent interpersonal, coaching, counseling and communication skills
- Willingness to work irregular and flexible hours.
- Familiarity with planning and coordination of a cheer/dance program(s) at an institution of higher education with a Division-I athletic program
- Demonstrated knowledge of budgeting and fiscal management.
- Demonstrated ability to actively foster a campus climate that is welcoming and supportive of University of Connecticut's diverse student body and encourages communication with and among campus constituencies.
- Master's Degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education Administration or other related field.
- Demonstrated responsible oversight of a comprehensive University cheer/dance program.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in team recruitment, alumni relations, and program promotion strategies.
- Demonstrated experience with risk management strategies
- Demonstrated effective planning, organization, budgeting, and administrative skills.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the use of personal computers and basic software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Willingness to work irregular and flexible hours.
- Demonstrated experience with and ability to effectively manage multiple projects and programs.
The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment.
Candidates must submit letter of application, resume, and the names of three references to UConn Jobs via at http://www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Screening of applicants will begin immediately. Employment of the successful candidate will be contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2018682)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at 11:59 p.m. EST on July 26, 2018.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honor students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and instates serve the University's teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn's ranking as one of the nation's top research universities. UConn's faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.