Senior Clerk Bookkeeper
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date July 12, 2018
Position Title Senior Clerk Bookkeeper
Vacancy # VC-409
Department Finance and Treasury
Division Treasury And Finance
The Financial Operations section of the Controller's Department is responsible for the non-payroll disbursement function of the University, providing services intended to meet the needs of its customers, both in the internal campus community, external vendor community, and the regulatory community who govern and audit the operations. This includes but is not limited to processing of checks for vendors, The Senior Clerk Bookkeeper interacts very closely with many campus departments and are relied upon for detailed, accurate, and timely processing. Within the Controller area, Financial Operations must establish and maintain excellent working relationships with Procurement Services. Data entered into the Accounts Payable ERP module has significant impact on accounting and budgetary balances across the campus and the compliance issues surrounding disbursements can be complex.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Process vouchers/invoices which includes auditing, reviewing, and checking calculations of source documents for completeness and fiscal agent authority.
- Maintains historical records by scanning and filing documents.
- Assist vendors and departments with any payment issues.
- Reviews queries/reports and resolves errors.
- Assist in documenting procedures.
- Reports non-compliant travel reimbursements to Payroll.
- Provides assistance as a Non-Resident Alien liaison to the university campus, this includes reporting and analysis.
- Ensures financial obligations for assigned vendors are met and that internal control procedures are consistently followed in accordance with MSU policies and campus procedures on a daily basis.
- Interacts on a daily basis with various campus personnel, including staff and faculty, as well as outside vendors and other members of the public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
Qualifications & Requirements
- One (1) year of experience in work involving the keeping of varied types of records of a bookkeeping nature.
- Graduation from an accredited college with a Bachelor's degree.
- Proficiency in using PeopleSoft or a similar Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Experience writing or running queries, and manipulating results.
- Experience using Microsoft Excel to prepare spreadsheets, including creating formulas, sorting data, preparing reports.
- Experience using imaging software to capture and review data.
- Knowledge of accounting and PC proficiency, including data entry skills.
- Understanding of various policies, processes and systems of the Accounts Payable Department, in support of the overall finance functions.
- Ability to perform mathematical computations accurately and with reasonable speed.
- Ability to organize assigned work, analyze problems and develop appropriate work methods.
- Ability to work independently and make sound decisions and recommendations regarding accounting activities.
- Analyzing information and attention to detail with exceptional level of accuracy.
- Excellent organizational skills in a multi-task environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and vendor relationship skills.
Salary Range A10: $31,780.78-$44,286.36
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $35,949.31.
Anticipated Start Date Open until position is filled.
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*
Apply By Review will begin immediately and continues until position is filled.
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION